That's what I do. It's just annoying.
tmossman

Re: Spam from Users Here

Post by tmossman »

teeder wrote:I just got another one.

This one is "from" Kevin Kuney.

He's not in my email list.

It can only be coming from here.

Unlikely, if an rrf list was compromised we all would be getting emails from all of us. Contact lists are a better source for these guys because it shows previous communications.

It also doesn't have to be directly from your contact list. One or two degrees of separation is enough to add an email/name to their fishing expedition. e.g You email jdog, jdog emails boyer, boyer emails kevin. You are now "connected" to Kevin.

The assumption on their part is that the NAME will trick you into opening the email. Most of the scripts that do this will hit you with a number of emails over a short period of time. After awhile they move on(but may come back).
teeder

Post by teeder »

Unlikely, Really?

< 1% of all my emails are related to RRF members, but 100% of these spam emails are connected to RRF names. There has to be a connection.

BS!
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

Sorry. Just trying to help.

Obviously someone stole the rrf email list and has decided concentrate 100% of their spamming activity solely in western pa.
teeder

Post by teeder »

You're right, Todd. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with this site. It's much more likely that "they" are only targeting the .7% of my email list that just happen to all be RRF members.

Thanks for the help.
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

It's not that it doesn't have anything to do with rrf. My point was the problem wasn't coming directly from an rrf hack therefore there is nothing rrf can do. The logic being if it was an rrf attack we all would be seeing the same amount of spam. Additionally Gil would have known we were hacked.

Yes it is likely a member of the site has a problem (or likely HAD a problem) at some point. Your email is connected to that user by some degree of separation. The connection doesn't even have to be from your "contacts list" but rather anybody you ever contacted or contacted you(server level). Those "connection lists" are for sale so what usually happens is you get a bunch of spam attempts and then it dies down. Some period of time later somebody else buys the list and they spam you. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.

Gil is on the right track. If you spend time reading through the headers you can usually find the connection pattern. It will help if you send him multiple email headers.

Be aware you may discover that person xxx on rrf had a problem in 2015 and fixed their problem. At this point xxx may not be able to do anything but you still are on a spam list and will continue to get spam from that list until the spammers move to a new methodology.

I get spam 2 or 3 times a year using an uncle's name who used email/computers for less than a year before giving up. He got infected and I am on his list from one new years email. I delete and move on.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I have gmail so I never see spam. I just checked my spam folder to see what's in there and it's the usual suspects... mostly totally random junk with nothing discernable (Nigerian princes, etc), and a few that look like friends of mine, but are clearly spam. One of these lists the name as an RRF person I email with regularly (Mr. K, who I believe was mentioned in this thread), but the actual email address is something totally weird and random - not even remotely close to being that person's email address! I'm seeing a lot of @...co.jp addresses. That's new to me!
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

J send the header of that email to Gil. Having multiple copies really helps the forensics(follow his instructions on the other thread).

The return addresses are always wrong they just want you to react to the name.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jdogric12 wrote:I have gmail so I never see spam. I just checked my spam folder to see what's in there and it's the usual suspects... mostly totally random junk with nothing discernable (Nigerian princes, etc), and a few that look like friends of mine, but are clearly spam. One of these lists the name as an RRF person I email with regularly (Mr. K, who I believe was mentioned in this thread), but the actual email address is something totally weird and random - not even remotely close to being that person's email address! I'm seeing a lot of @...co.jp addresses. That's new to me!
Gotta love those Nigerian Princes!!! The thing that always got me about those emails was that the entire "estate" is all right there in one bank account, usually in the millions or tens of millions. No real estate, stocks, bonds, precious metals, nor even any (gasp!) precious Rickenbacker instruments! I was always proud that they mentioned that they were awarding this vast estate to me because of my high moral character! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have a plane trip next week to Nigeria to check out one of these grand estates in person. The guy seems on the up and up and has shown me some really cool photos of the house and the surrounding land areas, a very large ranch. He is a berimbau player for hire when the jazz guys come to town, and he has a 48 track studio in his home. I am bringing both of my Ricks and the two Martin Keith basses, also.

Anyone want to come along, he's paying for everything? :D

He told me to leave my high moral character at home, not to bring it with me.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I'm in! When do we leave? :lol:
teeder

Post by teeder »

I've sent a bunch of emails to Gil, but no response back from him.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'm pretty sure he doesn't check in very often, so patients :mrgreen: is needed. In the meantime delete these e-mails.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jps wrote:I have a plane trip next week to Nigeria to check out one of these grand estates in person. The guy seems on the up and up and has shown me some really cool photos of the house and the surrounding land areas, a very large ranch. He is a berimbau player for hire when the jazz guys come to town, and he has a 48 track studio in his home. I am bringing both of my Ricks and the two Martin Keith basses, also.

Anyone want to come along, he's paying for everything? :D

He told me to leave my high moral character at home, not to bring it with me.

I'd like to go, Jeff! And despite the post I made above, I actually don't have anything resembling a high moral character! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
songdog

Post by songdog »

teeder wrote:I've sent a bunch of emails to Gil, but no response back from him.
I think he's on his way to Nigeria.... :lol:
Turn on, tune up, rock out!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”