RIC 12 with newer solid state amps?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

donnellbw

Post by donnellbw »

Anyone tried a RIC 12 with Janglebox through one on the newer Solid State DSP amps,like,for example, the Fender Mustang IV 2 X 12, or Orange 60 watt transistor 1 X12, for "close to" tube like jangle? The 2016-17-8 Solid States seem to be truly blurring the lines with traditional tube amps as seen on several YOUTUBE offerings.

Some of these even have onboard "compressors" and Range Master clones. Low maintenance could be a good thing, as well as raising GAIN levels without getting into overdriven tubes. As RIC owners, I trust your experiences in this area if any. Thanks for any input.

1994 Mapleglo with factory "hot" toasters"
Jangle box NANO with treble booster
Mint re-issue Ampeg Reverberocket 50 watt 2 X 12 tube combo

Also, give alisten to (on YOUTUBE) Starry Eyed and Laughing's "Going Down",the CBS session (not an album cover) featuring a picture of their drummer on a light blue background for some sublime RIC 12 fills.
ChuckEds

Re: RIC 12 with newer solid state amps?

Post by ChuckEds »

I got a Fender Mustang 2 a few weeks ago and it sounds amazing! I play my 620 (with toasters) through the 65 Deluxe Reverb with just the tiniest touch of gain and it sounds huge. It has lots of presets and FX, and there are plenty more that can be downloaded.

It's a great little amp that can give you a clean, bright sound...
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

There was this guy named Roger who did pretty well and got good jangle with his RIC twelve through a solid state Roland JC 120. I run mine through a pair of Vox Super Mini Reverbs with SS heads and have no complaints. I've certainly never been convinced that tubes are required for good jangle on a twelve string.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

My RIC's sound great through my newer Vox Pathfinder Reverb, which I have modified the output jack so I can run a true parallel extension cab. The factory wires the speaker jacks either/or to prevent returns from overloading, but the "white paper" on the output transistor says it is actually rated for 4 ohms and is more efficient that way, so I have the stock 8" 8-ohm Vox bulldog for mids in tandem with an old 12" Jensen Vibranto for highs and lows, and really like the tone it gets.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Sometimes I feel like I should buy something more impressive to run my twelves through, but every time I do, I end up selling it (Traynor YCV40, Roland JC 120, etc.) because I'm not playing out these days and they're too loud. The Vox mini stacks are really clean and despite low wattage, they can be quite loud if desired. If I could just get pint-sized versions of those Vox chrome amp frames for them they would be perfect.
Attachments
smrs-008a.jpg
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Hi Todd ---- can you refresh us how you have your 12-strings three pickups wired ?? We note the extra small knob on each. Are they both wired the same or differently ?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

The neck and bridge pickups are wired factory normal for a two pickup guitar - tone and volume for each one and the fifth knob for blending. The middle pickups have their own circuits with no tone knobs(full on) but the sixth knobs work as their volume controls. The 340s output jack was changed to a stereo jack. Plug in a normal guitar chord and it plays just like a stock 330. Plug in a stereo cord and the middle pickup is active as well and can be run to a different amp, track or channel. The 370 is basically the same deal, but uses two cords and two mono jacks, instead of a stereo jack. I usually run my JangleBox on the neck/bridge circuits about as bright and with as much attack as I can get. Then I can blend-in a little non-jangled middle pickup using the sixth knob and a different channel or amp to give the sound a little more low end and fullness. On the mini-stacks, the one with the brown grille cloth has four 8" speakers and gets the neck/bridge/JangleBox circuit. The amp with the black grille cloth has two tens and gets the middle pickup circuit for more low end.

Once in a while I'll stick a chorus pedal on the middle circuit and add some of that to the mix. I had first tried the factory-style wiring for three pickups, where the middle one is just added in (I tried mixing it with both the neck and bridge circuits) and didn't think either combination did very much. Since I played nearly all of my active band years with two cords and two amp channels on my old fretless Gibson bass, I figured I'd try something similar on the twelves. Now I can maintain really bright jangle from the box and flesh it out a bit with the addition of some "unboxed" tone.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Todd --- your rewired Rickenbackers and Mini Stack Voxes = very cool ! ! ! 8) 8) 8)
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

I have a Quilter Tone block 200, fired it up yesterday with a 620 and a Menatone J.A.C compressor. I’m very impressed with the little amp, it sounds excellent. Lots of power too if needed.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Surprisingly, my Rick 1993+ sounds great through a
Fender Rumble 500watt Mk3 head and 2 x 10 Rumble cab.
This is a bass guitar amp, but the cab has switchable attn tweeter, amp has built in compressor as part of its DNA.

Incredible clarity, dynamics and loudness (almost lethal)....I understand why some people like the PA alternative.

In general Rick 12's even sound great through a transistor radio. (plenty of hits) :D
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Dont' forget, what sounds great in the bedroom can sound terrible in a band mix and/or on stage... and vice versa. I have recently been playing live through a Sessionette 75, an 80's UK-made solid state amp that is the first amp I've had that combines 3 things I like: 1) loud 2) bright 3) gritty. It sounds absolutely horrid on its own at home, but it's great on stage next to a drummer! And yes, I'm putting loads of Rick 12 and Janglebox through it. Last night it was a 6er though - a Peerless era Epi Sorrento.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”