Control layout modifications

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

PunchyStrummer

Control layout modifications

Post by PunchyStrummer »

Hi all,

Who here has experimented with modifying the controls besides iiipope's tone mod (adding or taking controls away etc.)?

I'm converting the controls of my 330 to a V/V/T setup to experiment with a more efficient control layout - I was curious as to what others have done, considering that most modified Rics I've seen leave the controls in the standard configuration.
Rick-en-back-er. It's just so fun to say, let alone play.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Control layout modifications

Post by jps »

I did a VVT mod on my old July '73 4001, and added a toggle switch to bypass the bridge pickup's in=line cap when needed/desired.
Rick 4001 A RET 02.jpg
Tony (Pickguardian) made me three pickguards for this bass, so I had one to experiment with.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

My 4001FL is VVVT (3 pickups), and my 4004L was modded by Dan Basica to have VVT setup. If I won't use ROS, I don't really see the need for separate tone controls for each pickup.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I added third (middle) pickups to both my 360/12WB and 330/12 wired in on their own circuits with a sixth knob added as their volume controls (no tone pots needed). The 330 to 340 now uses a stereo jack and a Y-cord. The 360 to 370 uses two cords and each guitar can be run stock, like it was originally (neck and bridge pickups with five knobs) or sent to two different amps or channels. Kind of Ric-O-Sound on steroids.
smrs-008a.jpg
PunchyStrummer

Post by PunchyStrummer »

Hm, interesting modifications! I was actually thinking about adding a middle pickup to my 330 at some point...
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've done several variations and modifications to 4001/3 wiring. While I like VVT, I actually find Balance/Volume/Tone to be more useful. I also like Balance/Volume/Volume, which lets through the pure tone of the pickup. I don't care for the problematic mono switching jack on 4001/3's so on my own Ricks I have both outputs switchable from mono to stereo with a push-pull control. The jacks are Switchcraft stereo jacks that fit in the tight output jack cavity without binding up or developing issues down the road.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I’ve got all kinds of odd wiring...I’m oddly wired. I’ve added middle pickups but I only found them useful when out of phase with another pickup or all 3 on. Think about what you really need and how you play. Simpler switching is better.

On my 370WB Dane did a harness for me with all push pulls that looks stock. It is the most overkill 3 pickup guitar with 2 Hb1’s and a HiGain...it does HB/coil tap, out of phase, two separate tones, piezo...everything but Ric-O-Sound & series. Finally getting this one recorded. Push pulls are great and awful at the same time...still my favorite guitar ever.

I have a 350 with the mid pickup permanently out of phase wired to the 5th knob as a volume and a push pull mid boost tone stack for the neck pickup only that can be removed from the circuit...as Dane said pure pickup sound. Also looks stock. This one sounds dirty-swampy to clear as a bell. Also recording.

My most stock Ric is a 330 and I wired the pickups permanently out of phase. The simplest for tone changes and the most formidable sounding one of the lot, I tune it down to open C and demons appear. You can also add a push pull for out of phase. Set your volumes then the blend becomes like an eq and you can just morph the sound bright mid & dark in just one position...hit the bridge when you need to kerrrang.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Dom wrote:On my 370WB Dane did a harness for me with all push pulls that looks stock. It is the most overkill 3 pickup guitar with 2 Hb1’s and a HiGain...it does HB/coil tap, out of phase, two separate tones, piezo...everything but Ric-O-Sound & series. Finally getting this one recorded. Push pulls are great and awful at the same time...still my favorite guitar ever.
This is still THE most complicated wiring harness I've ever built. I don't know if I could build one just like it again!
Dom

Post by Dom »

aceonbass wrote:This is still THE most complicated wiring harness I've ever built. I don't know if I could build one just like it again!
I am honored! It is truly a beast. I asked for some crazy stuff & you did a helluva job. It really does everything...I have lots of jealous guitars.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

What and how a player wires the controls depends on what a player wants to use it for. Some of these other wiring mods listed above are great for producing additional or non-standard tones not available with the stock wiring. The purposes of my mods are: first, stage use so that the knobs are in the same place and function in the same manner as stock so in the middle of a song or set the risk of grabbing the wrong knob is reduced; second, I can't stand the insipid sound of the middle and neck pickup together in the stock 3-pickup wiring, and I desired the classic 2-pickup tone which you can't get on a 3-pickup guitar as well as a tone with more drive (bridge pickup without the .0047 cap); and 3) to pass the "five-foot" test, so that the instrument appears perfectly stock, can function as such, and is easy to retrofit back to stock should a time come to sell the instrument.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

PunchyStrummer

Post by PunchyStrummer »

That does look pretty awesome.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”