You Can't Do That - Lennon solo video

The history and music of the Fab Four
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

You Can't Do That - Lennon solo video

Post by scoobster28 »

So You Can't Do That is probably my favorite Beatles' tune. And, from what I understand, John Lennon played the solo on the track which may have been his first official recorded solo (not sure if he did any for a BBC Radio or Hamburg shows that were recorded). However, in searching through YouTube I cannot find a single video of him playing it. Either they are lip-synching to the record, or the camera cuts away from John during the solo (perhaps because they think George will be playing it), or I think I have seen George play it sometimes in concert.

Does anyone know of a performance where John played the solo "live" on video? I am not trying to learn it... I just want to see how he handled it.

Thanks.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: You Can't Do That - Lennon solo video

Post by kennyhowes »

Lots of audio, never seen video where the camera’s on him.
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Thanks Kenny. Indeed, you are correct!
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Taken from the Beatles' appearance at the Hollywood Bowl, this shows clips where John might be playing the solo. It's the closest I have seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K-Q_cf ... pB&index=2
ChuckEds

Post by ChuckEds »

Supposedly John didn't like to be filmed while playing solos, I don't remember where I heard that but the lack of anything seems to back that up. There is a a partial video of a concert from '64 in Philly I think, where he goes into the You Can't Do That solo early, so there's a second or two before he realizes his mistake.

He definitely played quite a bit of lead on the Star Club and BBC recordings. Check out Youtube channels by Beatles Guitar Secrets and Mike Pachelli for some great tutorials.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”