Who gigs with a combo amp?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: Who gigs with a combo amp?

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Interesting choice, keep us posted. How would you compare the sounds of your barefaced and GK?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Kiddwad57 wrote:Interesting choice, keep us posted. How would you compare the sounds of your barefaced and GK?
A lot closer to each other in tone and output than the Cube was to either. I frequently ran the BB2 with the tweeter way down or off so that probably increases the similarity. Honestly the only major differences I can really tell are how the GK emphasizes high mids more, and shelves the really deep bass (40 Hz?) a tiny but discernible amount. That voicing difference is easily overcome with the EQ, which is pretty versatile and seems to be chock full of useable settings.

Also, this 200 watt combo sounds every bit as loud as my 500 watt head + cab in rehearsal (in both cases, barely turning up the input gain at all...). The band was really happy with it. It's a keeper!
T28

Post by T28 »

I still love my Phil Jones Compact Suitcase. Does it all in a small cab with 4-5” speakers that can easily handle a low “B” at volume.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I just want to check back in post-honeymoon. The MB112-II is a keeper. On top of everything else, the "resting" output is extremely quiet (no tweeter hiss, obviously, or intermittent loud fan). My Aggie and Barefaced on the chopping block.

One interesting thing is that the EQ on the GK seems to be a little more "natural" than most EQs. I wish I knew how to explain it better but effectively there's no awkward sounding settings out of it, unless you count extremely loud bass as awkward (the Low control can get pretty outrageous, I guess this works for dub
and dancehall bands). Normally the high and hi-mid knobs on an EQ are what I find lacking tonally but these are, I guess, aimed squarely at the more pleasing frequencies. However, the numbers sound awfully familiar (1 and 7 kHz, respectively) so perhaps it is how these controls have been optimized to the voicing of the cab.
daveman

Post by daveman »

I too am a big fan of GK amps. Wonderful 4-band eq. Very musical.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have had a few Gallien-Krueger amps over the years, a 200MB combo amp, a 400RB, and two 700RBs, all great sounding and reliable amps. I believe the Q on the filters is fairly low to keep them musical sounding overall. Noon is far from a flat response for the EQ settings, I do remember that.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:I believe the Q on the filters is fairly low
I should know what that means, but I've forgotten -- can you enlighten me?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

They are not overly peaky and narrow so they cover a wider range per band (control); the overall effect is more musical and less surgical in nature.
daveman

Post by daveman »

jps wrote:Noon is far from a flat response for the EQ settings, I do remember that.
This is true. IIRC, you get close to "flat" on GK heads by cutting back the bass and treble (to around 10 am) and boost the two mid-bands to 1 or 2 pm.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

daveman wrote:This is true. IIRC, you get close to "flat" on GK heads by cutting back the bass and treble (to around 10 am) and boost the two mid-bands to 1 or 2 pm.
I don't know that I can identify a truly flat sound with my GK 700RB-II, but this would make sense as setting all four EQ knobs to noon would thus be complimentary to GK's "signature" scooped sound that can be further emphasized with the contour knob. Oddly, I love my 700RB-II for the exact opposite: a biting yet mid-heavy sound.

Input volume: ~10:00 (pending active/passive)
Contour: 7:00 (off)
Presence: 2:00
Treble: 12:00
Hi mid: 1:30-2:00
Low mid: 2:00-2:30
Bass: 1:00-1:30
Boost: 3:00
Tweeter: 8:00
Woofer: use as master volume
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:They are not overly peaky and narrow so they cover a wider range per band (control); the overall effect is more musical and less surgical in nature.
Got it. Thanks!
JimmyN2

Post by JimmyN2 »

I’ve always used a combo and the last one I had was a TC BG250-210 which was good but too heavy for an old chap like me. I px’d it for a Markbass mini CMD121p and have used that with my Ricky 4003 for over a year. It’s super light (11.9kg) and a comfortable 300w output or 500w rms with a second cab (I’ve not felt a need for a second cab). More than enough volume with or without PA assistance. I don’t like the furry finish but it seems very tough and being Velcro friendly means the Mark Stand accessory (tips it back like a monitor) stays in place. The vinyl jacket is useful to keep it clean. The Markbass amps (IMO) are expensive but you really get something that’s incredibly good, light and powerful.

I can manage my gear in one journey, car to gig. Amp in one hand, leads and pedal bag in the other and Ricky on my back.:-)
diptixon

Post by diptixon »

MarkBass CMD 102P - Have been using it for a year and it is fantastic - loud and light! Have a 1X15 Markbass cab that I can use external, and have never had to yet... the tilt=back design is a real big plus...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”