Care For The Ric Fretboard?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Care For The Ric Fretboard?

Post by Tommy »

Is there any special way that is recommended to clean and care for the gloss Ric fretboard?

I'm ready for a restringing on my 360/12 (the darn tailpiece exploded) so I want to give the guitar a complete detailing job. Cleaning and waxing. I go with 50/50 Turtle wax on the body, just wondering what for the fretboard.
collin

Re: Care For The Ric Fretboard?

Post by collin »

Any quality cleaner wax should do the job, I prefer Zymol brand but anything similar would be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z503A-Clea ... B0009JKIRC
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

collin wrote:Any quality cleaner wax should do the job, I prefer Zymol brand but anything similar would be fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z503A-Clea ... B0009JKIRC
Yes, I use that Zymol, too. The suggestion came from this very board. But I also use the 50/50 Turtle Wax/water solution on my Rics. I get fine results from both.

But wax on the fretboard? Strings would get pretty fouled pretty soon, no?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I would wax the whole instrument, then buff off as much as possible from the fingerboard and frets, or just not do the fingerboard at all; a good wipe down with naphtha would clean it.
collin

Post by collin »

You don’t need to put a ton of cleaner wax on the fretboard, and the ‘cleaner’ element in Zymöl means it can remove dirt and be wiped away without much buildup. That’s what makes it different from straight caranuba wax.

As Jeff mentions if you just want cleaning only (without polishing) naphtha is the way to go. Or lighter fluid for those of us in California...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

There is also a lighter (no pun intended), spray form of Zymol available; Forumite Frank Scholl mentioned it. The spray bottle form is excellent for lighter cleaning and polishing between the major jobs.

I don't think there's an issue with a waaxed finterboard gunking up the strings; apply, and buff out-it's fine. Have not had an issue. :D 8)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

paologregorio wrote:There is also a lighter (no pun intended), spray form of Zymol available; Forumite Frank Scholl mentioned it. The spray bottle form is excellent for lighter cleaning and polishing between the major jobs.

I don't think there's an issue with a waaxed finterboard gunking up the strings; apply, and buff out-it's fine. Have not had an issue. :D 8)
Hmmm, I'll look into the spray Zymol.

In the meantime I did go with Zymol for a proper cleaning and waxing. I used a light coat on the fretboard and you folks were right, no harm. The entire guitar came out looking spectacular. This guitar is 28 years old.

andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

You should be very proud of that condition after that time.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

andyenobs wrote:You should be very proud of that condition after that time.
Truth be told...I've only played it twice.

Just kidding.

That was my go to guitar for many a year. Freinds would meet at a grimy, filthy local studio to jam....and I'd bring my 12 string Ric. Got a lot of play over the past 28 years. It also got a lot of tender loving care.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”