350V63 neck shape

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wobblybob

350V63 neck shape

Post by wobblybob »

I did a search but couldn't find anything definitive on this. I have a chance to purchase a new 350V63 for a really good price but I was wondering about the neck shape. I don't have the ability to play it in person. I have a 660/12 that has a neck that seems like a flat oval (flat C?) shape that causes a bit of hand fatigue after playing for a while. I think that I prefer a more rounded full C shaped neck. Can anyone chime in on the neck shape on the 350V63? I find that as I get older neck shape and thickness (front to back, not fretboard width) has become a big factor in my playing comfort.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Re: 350V63 neck shape

Post by soundmasterg »

The neck on the 350V63 is narrow, and the neck is deeper than some other Rickenbackers that I've played such as my 1989 230, so I suppose it is like a C shape and probably a bit less flat than the 660 I would guess, though I've never played one of those. The thing that bothers me the most about the 350V63 is the vintage style super low frets as I bend strings a fair amount and it is hard to do on that guitar. John Hall said I would get used to it but I don't think I will after 10 years with the guitar. I will likely refret it with taller frets at some point. Hope that helps.

Greg
tooloud

Post by tooloud »

I have the 350V63 as well as a 660/6. To me, closer to the nut the 350 neck feels quite a bit deeper feels a lot less "flat" compared to the 660 but is quite a bit more narrow than the 660. The 660 feels more like a shallow capital "D" shape and the 350 more of a lower case c (if that makes any sense).
wobblybob

Post by wobblybob »

Yup, makes a lot of sense. I can get one for a really good deal so I'm tempted. From what I understood in my research they're a bit more versatile than what most think. Thanks for the input!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”