Good Touch Up Paint for Reissue Silver Tolex Cases?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sixtwentytwelve

Good Touch Up Paint for Reissue Silver Tolex Cases?

Post by sixtwentytwelve »

It's possible that this topic has been addressed before but I haven't found anything running topic searches.

Has anyone identified a silver touch-up paint (brand/color) that is a good match for repairing small scuffs and scrapes on newer, reissue silver tolex cases? Presumably there's an automotive paint that is reasonably close in appearance, but there are a lot of choices. The manufacturer of the cases might be able to provide some guidance, but I don't know which company currently produces them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
collin

Re: Good Touch Up Paint for Reissue Silver Tolex Cases?

Post by collin »

Now, I don't want to be a naysayer but these sort of repairs rarely (basically never) disappear and typically look worse than just leaving the honest scrapes and other wear. It's the case anyways, it's meant to be scratched so the guitar isn't!

Tolex is not painted, so any paint you apply is only going to sit on top the material, you can't blend it like a paint touchup, and it's going to look like you painted a scratch (which is worse than just leaving a scratch, IMO).

Sorry man, wish I had a better answer for you, but it's the truth.
sixtwentytwelve

Post by sixtwentytwelve »

Thanks Collin - I agree that touching up a major scrape is unlikely to produce a good outcome, but I have had reasonable results doing paint touch ups of small spots on tolex cases where the paint color is a good match. For example, a touch up can be a significant improvement when you are filling in a very small area where the tolex has ripped away exposing the wood, and in some situations it can be less obtrusive than an attempt to do a tolex "patch" (assuming you could find the right material). If the area is small and the color is close, it helps that tolex surfaces are typically textured/pebbled because you are not trying to replicate a smooth, polished surface. In any event, I thought I would toss the question out there - I may take a trip to the auto parts store to look for a reasonable match.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sixtwentytwelve wrote:Thanks Collin - I agree that touching up a major scrape is unlikely to produce a good outcome, but I have had reasonable results doing paint touch ups of small spots on tolex cases where the paint color is a good match. For example, a touch up can be a significant improvement when you are filling in a very small area where the tolex has ripped away exposing the wood, and in some situations it can be less obtrusive than an attempt to do a tolex "patch" (assuming you could find the right material). If the area is small and the color is close, it helps that tolex surfaces are typically textured/pebbled because you are not trying to replicate a smooth, polished surface. In any event, I thought I would toss the question out there - I may take a trip to the auto parts store to look for a reasonable match.
In that case (no pun intended, unless you prefer that :mrgreen: ) perhaps something like this could work better than paint.
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

I'm with Collin. But I think the manufacturer is G & G. I've got a reissue and it looks very much like a G & G case I have for my Stratocaster.

Take it easy,

JKC
collin

Post by collin »

The manufacturer of the reissue cases is indeed G&G. The vintage silver cases they replicate were made by Victoria Luggage, I believe.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”