Poor old 4000

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Lewis90

Re: Poor old 4000

Post by Lewis90 »

So I brought the bass to a luthier and he’s assessing the stability of the neck this week.
The bass will definitively need a refret and a new nut.
One of the previous owners had taken it out and tried to recut it, but ruined the whole thing in the end and just stuck it back in...
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Ouch! Gotta re-cut that mudbucker chasm clean and glue in a solid block of new maple, that has weakened the whole shebang considerably. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a chisel.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I'll be that thing sounds good with that neck humbucker.
songdog

Post by songdog »

I don't have my copy of The Book handy to consult... wasn't the 4001S also set neck in that era? How did they manage routing for the neck pickup without the bass folding in half? Anyone with a set neck 4001S who could take a picture with the pickguard removed?
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
Lewis90

Post by Lewis90 »

rictified wrote:I'll be that thing sounds good with that neck humbucker.
Not quite to be honest. The wiring is all messed up, so it's hard to switch on both pickups or to blend in the humbucker with the hi-gain.
The hi-gain on itself sounds great, but I still have a toaster made by Sergio lying around that I want to install.

The old 4001S were basically the same chassis, so I asked the luthier to check out if modifying to a 4001S is an option.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

collin wrote:[ ...
A mid-70s 4001S had a set neck? Didn't realize that.

I always look for the stripe down by the tailpiece to check if it's a set neck or not.
Here are a couple of pictures of the neck area of my set-neck 1975 4001S WHT WT (currently still stolen):
1975 4001S WHT WT
1975 4001S WHT WT
P8040436.JPG
Here is a picture of the back of my 1977 4000FL BG (I don't have a picture of the neck area under the pick guard, sorry).
RIC4000FLBG_back.jpg
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
harperbass

Post by harperbass »

I always preferred the 4000 to the 4001. I had 2. '73s. Both had MB serials just a few apart. The necks were more like the vintage ones. That toggle switch was always in the way. It's my understanding these set neck basses were meant really for those guitar bodies like Patti Smith and the like played. Talked to the 70's floor manager and he said those bodies sat there for a year if not years. Odd to me RIC doesn't keep the 4000 going. Much cheaper to make. Nice carving. They all look exactly the same, now. IMO. Here's a pic of my fave, a liver-colored 4000. I used Ric flatwounds and this bass had a great thump. This is from '79.

Rick Harper
Attachments
phoenixhl.jpg
Lewis90

Post by Lewis90 »

Some great stories guys! Thanks

As for the project, I ordered a lot of parts (thanks to Dane and Rickysounds) and am still looking for a few minor things (mute foam, pickup height screws)

The bass itself is in the capable hands of my tech:

The neck was very hard to adjust, but he quickly found out why:

The spacer is completely ruined. Is it easier for him to make a new one or do the new spacers fit an old 4000?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Don't use the new 4000 series thrust spacer. Have a new one made from brass or stainless if possible
Renfield

Post by Renfield »

Gilmourisgod wrote:Ouch! Gotta re-cut that mudbucker chasm clean and glue in a solid block of new maple, that has weakened the whole shebang considerably. Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a chisel.
You should see the ****** route job the shop did on my '76 4000. And that was the shop that sold it to me. Alas, if it "has weakened the whole shebang" I think I would've noticed something in 43 years. Other than fret wear and the infamous tail lift, it plays like new.

With the scratch guard in place, I am the only one who knows.
"We were getting quite famous—obviously once we got to America we were quite famous—and Mr. Rickenbacker kind of arrived and said, Paul, we have a bass. Oh, great! Freebie. Thank you very much."

-Paul McCartney.
Lewis90

Post by Lewis90 »

A lot has happened since my last update:
The luthier plugged the hole and recut it to fit a 'normal' pickup:

Afterwards he refretted it with vintage-correct small frets:Image

And now it looks like this:

As you can imagine, I'm very content. THe neck is fixed and has great action now and with the new frets it plays wonderfull. I'm saving up for a toaster and some nice Maxima flatwounds, but for now I'm loving this bass!
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Looks good!
ram

Post by ram »

SWEET!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice resue job! 8)
Renfield

Post by Renfield »

Reborn to glory. Nice. But that white switch...
"We were getting quite famous—obviously once we got to America we were quite famous—and Mr. Rickenbacker kind of arrived and said, Paul, we have a bass. Oh, great! Freebie. Thank you very much."

-Paul McCartney.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”