Rickenbacker bass neck - Right amount of relief

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Rickenbacker bass neck - Right amount of relief

Post by iiipopes »

The nature of an electric bass being what it is, especially if the instrument has very sensitive pickups, is such that if all fret buzz or fret slap is eliminated completely, then the action may have to be so high as to render the bass difficult to play. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of a double bass, where without frets, the action can be lower than most people think, limited only by the string excursion slapping the fingerboard. The urban legend that a double bass is difficult to play due to high action comes from instruments that are not set up properly. Even with fretless electric basses, some of the signature "m-wah" tone comes from the strings vibrating against the fingerboard when a player "digs in" as well as the slight imprecision of (technical term) stopping the strings at pitch without the benefit of frets, which also softens the articulation.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

All my basses have to have a certain "feel" for me. Higher action to compensate for fret buzz is not an option. If I cant get it to set up right, I get rid of it.

I've always approached fret buzz as kind of "effect"..I can play my basses without buzz, but sometimes I'll dig in certain notes for that effect. I think Squire was the king of this.
"Knowledge is Power"
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

To me, that "fret buzz" is kinda the baby brother to the "slap" or "pop" or "funk" bass style, where you intentionally produce an aggressive tone by over-striking the strings. I can play it smooth without buzz, or I can add that little bit of grind, or I can blow the drummer off his throne with a good pull of the G string – actually did this once! 8)
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul, good points. Interesting if not provocative comments. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”