Only Toasters On The 12 Strings

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Only Toasters On The 12 Strings

Post by drumbob »

Both my 330-12 strings are equipped with Toasters now. Both came with Hi Gains, and I realized that I couldn't get the authentic 60's McGuinn jangle I needed with those. Luckily, I scored a set of Toasters from a friend on http://www.thegearpage.net a few weeks ago, had them installed this week on the MapleGo 330-12, and the difference is night and day.

So, my point is, Hi Gains don't work for me on Rick 12 strings, but they sound fine on my 620. Discuss.
steverok
Intermediate Member

Re: Only Toasters On The 12 Strings

Post by steverok »

Either. I don't see the need to be a slave to 60s jangle. I like the hi-gains.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I'm with you on the 12's - toasters all the way. I like both on the 6's. I also like both on the basses. I like flatwounds on both too, but also like nickel rounds too.

Greg
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

Overall I'd say I prefer hi-gains on a 6-string (at least vs. scatterwound toasters..pre-scat "hot" toasters are another thing entirely), but that's mostly a function of the kind of music I like to play. And it's definitely not exclusive...my favorite guitar ever is my '64 460, with toasters, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Of course, this is all in the absence of considering different amps and amp settings, effects pedals, etc.

For 12-strings, I used to be a toaster purist but at one point I owned a '80 360/12 (with original hi-gains) and it sounded phenomenal. So I'm pretty much agnostic now! Also, I haven't had the opportunity to play around with the newer adjustable pole-piece hi-gains, on either a 6- or 12-string, so I'll reserve opinions on these for others who can chime in.

Bottom line is, you need at least four Rickenbackers to cover the basic sting# and pickup permutations, and then from there progress to the hoarding stage to cover the range of models, eras, finishes, etc. :lol:
steverok
Intermediate Member

Post by steverok »

chronictown wrote:Bottom line is, you need at least four Rickenbackers to cover the basic sting# and pickup permutations, and then from there progress to the hoarding stage to cover the range of models, eras, finishes, etc. :lol:
This. There is no such thing as too many Rics. Great username / handle, by the way.
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

Thanks! Yep, I'd probably pick up at least one a month if I had the time and, more importantly, the means.

It's madness, for sure, but a good, harmless madness :mrgreen: .
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

I prefer Hi-Gains on the current 330/12, given it has the solid centre block construction.
Tried the toasters and did not really like them on the 330/12. I am sure the factory have the combination correct, tuning the output tone of the Hi-Gains pickups to suit the extra sustain and different mid-range.
Acoustically the 330/12 is in a different sonic space.

The cross braced 1993+ and 360/12C63 have less sustain but more resonance, the toasters work best on these.

I have never tried the 660/12 which has the toasters on a solid body and the different 12 string adjustment bridge. The 620/12 - Hi-Gains on a solid body

Happy with the 1993+ just all round excellence.

The collection grows quickly. :mrgreen:
jakeisjake

Post by jakeisjake »

I've always heard this...

I had a 330-6 with Toasters and a 620-12 with hi gains and switched them. After a couple of weeks, I switched them back.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”