Pickguards from the "Ric" Boutique

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Pickguards from the "Ric" Boutique

Post by aceonbass »

bassduke49 wrote:And I don't know why the difference matters to some people. :roll:
One is smooth and cohesive with the body line of the lower edge of the bass, and the other one is not. Rickenbacker returned to the previous design in early 2014 for a reason. I've done several custom mods to Rickenbacker basses, many for customers, and having an eye for detail and design is a good thing to have.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

aceonbass wrote:
bassduke49 wrote:And I don't know why the difference matters to some people. :roll:
One is smooth and cohesive with the body line of the lower edge of the bass, and the other one is not. Rickenbacker returned to the previous design in early 2014 for a reason. I've done several custom mods to Rickenbacker basses, many for customers, and having an eye for detail and design is a good thing to have.
And still :roll: :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

henry5 wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Here are both guards side by side. I don't know how it's possible that some can't tell the difference.
Ditto. But I was an artist long before I was a musician. It still amazes me when people watch tv in the wrong aspect and can’t tell. :wink:
What?
callofcthulhu

Post by callofcthulhu »

aceonbass wrote:
Or, to put it another way, one is boring and uniform, the other stimulates the eye by simulating concentric motion.

Rickenbacker also started making the top horn skinnier around that time, looks kind of awkward and anemic to me.

I'm not a fan of either change, but it's just a matter of personal preference, neither is "right" or "wrong."
gt40graham

Post by gt40graham »

I too hadn't noticed this change in pick guard shape. If it were mine I would just sand the edge down to get rid of the bump, far easier and cheaper than replacing it.

Regards,

Graham.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another anomaly for the Rickenbacker history books. An interesting observation and a feature that if not noted might be otherwise be interpreted as an error, one off or a fake.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

gt40graham wrote:I too hadn't noticed this change in pick guard shape. If it were mine I would just sand the edge down to get rid of the bump, far easier and cheaper than replacing it. Regards, Graham.
You'll spend a long time sanding. There's over 1/8" of material in some places that needs to be removed.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Unless you've got a belt sander/linisher...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickbass

Post by rickbass »

I actually like the look of the fatter pickguard...to me it looks more like a vintage style....
1977 4001 mapleglo with toaster and horseshoe
1980 4001S fireglo
rickbass

Post by rickbass »

rickbass 2.jpg
rak 2.jpg
1977 4001 mapleglo with toaster and horseshoe
1980 4001S fireglo
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I have a white 2016 4003 guard in pretty new shape I dont use. Took it off mine after I bought the bass new. PM me if interested.
Attachments
B827312F-D905-4B39-9D22-FD0671D512A1.jpeg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”