Yet another tailpiece question..

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gerb

Yet another tailpiece question..

Post by Gerb »

Hi all,

It's been some time since I last posted something on this forum, but still perfectly happy with my 4001C64. Except..

It has taillift. Always had a little, but now it's come to a point where I believe that the break angle behind the bridge causes the strings to go "out of phase", for a lack of better terms.

Recently, I bought a 70's tailpiece + bridge (and foam) as a replacement for said bridge, but it's a 5-screw one. So, my question is: would it hurt to only use the three screws + holes that are in the C64? I don't want to make extra holes in it, plus the 5-screw bridge didn't come with any and I don't know the exact measure of 'em.

Any suggestions on how I could fix this without replacing stuff are also welcome!

(Disclaimer: I looked all over the forum to see if there was a similar question regarding using the 5-screw tailpiece as a 3-screw, but I couldn't find any. So, if there's a thread I didn't see; please let me know. :))
Dirk

Re: Yet another tailpiece question..

Post by Dirk »

I think you've answered your own question in a way.
If you only use 3 screws it will lift just like the original most likely.

If you're worried about resale value, would the 2 missing screw spots be visible when the original bridge is put back on?
If that's true, I don't think that would affect value, at least to me it wouldn't.

Not sure what you mean about out of phase, that's an electronic term. Do you mean intonation maybe?
And if so I can't see a lifted bridge moving that much to really affect tuning or intonation. It would have to move
a huge amount forward or back to change things.

Good luck,
Dirk
ram

Post by ram »

What Dirk said. The old tail piece would cove the new holes I would think but if it were me buying I'd want the 5 screw as to have everything nice and flat. I have a '74 4001. It has a little lift. If it ever gets worse, the drill will come out and two more screws into the original piece. I have a 4003s5 with five screws and there is really nothing there that makes it look bad. Post a picture with the new piece on it if/when you get it on.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Will the Hipshot replacement drop right in without needing more holes?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yes.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Any three screw tailpiece will lift (except the old cast aluminum ones), and the current castings (all 3 and 5 screw versions) are the heaviest castings RIC has ever made. Honestly, I would add two screws to the rear of the tailpiece (ala early 7 screw 4003's). You don't have to use the same size screws used on the rest of the tailpiece. I use the smaller screws that come with most strap lock pegs. You can also wait for the new 4003 tailpiece/bridge assembly when it's released, hopefully next year. I would NOT put a Hipshot on the bass. They spoil the vintage vibe of the C64.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”