Goodbye Mapleglo 330/6

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

andyenobs

Goodbye Mapleglo 330/6

Post by andyenobs »

I have just decided to part x my 330/6. It was the first Rickenbacker I ever wanted having played one in my teens in 1965. But since I bought a 660/6 and more recently a 660/12 both in natural Mapleglo I don't feel I need the 330 anymore. I never found the 330/6 difficult to play but I have found the 660s better in other ways. They stay in tune superbly are easier to play because of the lesser string tension and the wider necks. I don't think their sound is that different and the sustain is brilliant and all in a comfortable compact package.
So if you have never tried a 660/6 or 12 get out there and find one to try you will be very pleasantly surprised.
collin

Re: Goodbye Mapleglo 330/6

Post by collin »

Glad you found what works for you, Andy.

There are a lot of people who want the wide-neck Rickenbackers (particularly for 12-strings), but I'm not one of them. I tend to play with my thumb hanging over the top of the fretboard and find the classic Rick neck profile to be perfect for many styles of playing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andy, glad you like the 660 series. It is great that Rickenbacker had options that allowed you to move forward.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Peter
You would not believe how easy it is to play the 660/12. Its an absolute dream.
I haven't forgotten the photo. I will try and post it this week.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Colin
I thought I had sent you a reply but it obviously did not reach you as it is not on the forum. I do not have any sort of problem with the standard Ricky neck on a 6 string but some time back I had a Walnut 330/12 and I found it too narrow. I wrap my thumb over the 330 and 660 neck but it is obviously easier on the standard width neck. The other reason I like the wider neck is it is the same as my acoustic at the nut and nearly the same as my Telecaster Thinline which is less than 2mm narrower so it just makes everything easier going from one guitar to another.
Regards
Andy
duojet

Post by duojet »

Very cool that you have both a 660/6 and 660/12. 8) I am not sure if I am in the minority or not,but a regular width/shape Rickenbacker neck is a HUGE appeal to me.Every time I grab that neck,it just feels perfect.
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Winston
I don't disagree with regard to the 6 string but as a person who has relatively long thin fingers I cannot agree with regard to the 12 string. It is too cramped for most people and many have said on this forum they would prefer the option of a wider neck. I have only possessed my 660s a short time but I love them. The 6 string felt a little strange at first but you get used to it very quickly and when you pick up the 12 string it feels really comfy. I live in the UK and I bought the 6 string on ebay at the beginning of the year and it was mint but you could see it had never been set up properly. Once professionally set up the action was superb and I had paid a very reasonable price for it. It is a 2011 with a beautiful charactered maple body. The 12 string I bought new in San Francisco. Very few available in the UK and I was advised that none were coming here this year and possibly not next. Fortunately my son lives in the States so I bought it on the internet and had it delivered to him. Try a 600 and make up your own mind.
Regards
Andy
Last edited by andyenobs on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I've had both a 660/12 (MG) and a 660 (DCM) . As to the 660, I had a new nut made that narrowed the string spacing a bit as I felt it to be too wide, actually!
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Jeffrey
That's why I said the 6 string feels strange to begin with but you do get used to it. I have an American Elite Telecaster Thinline and the nut width is less than 2mm narrower so with my acoustic they are all very close in size which imo helps when switching from one to another. It is all about what suits you. Before I retired I decided to get all the guitars I couldn't afford when I was younger. Fortunately we both work and the house was paid for several years earlier and my kids had fled the nest so why not. The wife wasn't too happy but i have accumulated a 6 and 12 string Taylor Electro Acoustics, the two Ricks, the Tele Thinline, and a Squire Strat which my wife bought me 30 years ago. I did have a Gibson Studio but it did nothing for me so I sold it. My favourite 6 string electric is the 660/6 and despite what is said about Ricks you can play anything on it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

andyenobs wrote:Hi Jeffrey
That's why I said the 6 string feels strange to begin with but you do get used to it. I have an American Elite Telecaster Thinline and the nut width is less than 2mm narrower so with my acoustic they are all very close in size which imo helps when switching from one to another. It is all about what suits you. Before I retired I decided to get all the guitars I couldn't afford when I was younger. Fortunately we both work and the house was paid for several years earlier and my kids had fled the nest so why not. The wife wasn't too happy but i have accumulated a 6 and 12 string Taylor Electro Acoustics, the two Ricks, the Tele Thinline, and a Squire Strat which my wife bought me 30 years ago. I did have a Gibson Studio but it did nothing for me so I sold it. My favourite 6 string electric is the 660/6 and despite what is said about Ricks you can play anything on it.
Except for my Martin (1 11/16"), my other guitars have the same as, or wider nuts than the 660 (1 3/4" to 1 7/8") and they all feel fine. I think there were/are two reasons for this: the 660 had its E strings too close to the edges of the fingerboard, possibly (I had had it many years ago so I don't really remember), and the neck profiles make a big difference in feel. Two of my guitars have asymmetrical neck profiles (the Yamamotos - 6 and 12 string).

Here are photos of the 660 and 660/12 I had.
660DCM_1200_1198.jpg
Rick 660-12 A 02.jpg
duojet

Post by duojet »

andyenobs wrote:Hi Winston
I don't disagree with regard to the 6 string but as a person who has relatively long thin fingers I cannot agree with regard to the 12 string. It is too cramped for most people and many have said on this forum they would prefer the option of a wider neck. I have only possessed my 660s a short time but I love them. The 6 string felt a little strange at first but you get used to it very quickly and when you pick up the 12 string it feels really comfy. I live in the UK and I bought the 6 string on ebay at the beginning of the year and it was mint but you could see it had never been set up properly. Once professionally set up the action was superb and I had paid a very reasonable price for it. It is a 2011 with a beautiful charactered maple body. The 12 string I bought new in San Francisco. Very few available in the UK and I was advised that none were coming here this year and possibly not next. Fortunately my son lives in the States so I bought it on the internet and had it delivered to him. Try a 600 and make up your own mind.
Regards
Andy
Hi Andy- Agreed that the 12 strings feel a bit cramped. I will have to try a 660 soon.(Always wanted a 660 in Jetglo--very cool).The regular 12 string works for me,however,I have one of the 2002 330/12's that have the unusually thick neck(not width).That might be making things more comfortable in my case. 8)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Sorry, I was inspired (or tired, or perspired, or something)
With apologies to Sir Elton:

When are you gonna jam down?
When are you going to ring?
I should have stayed on the twelve
I should have played the same twelve strings

You know I can't strum you forever
I didn't plug in with you
You're not a present for my friends to play
This guitar's too young to be singing the blues

So goodbye Mapleglo six
Where the players of rhythm ring on
I won't get you out of your case now,
I'm going back to my twelve

Back to the jangling old twelve
Hunting the compression and licks
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the Mapleglo six

What do you think you'll do then?
I bet that'll dry up your gigs
It'll take a new owner drinking vodka and tonics
To set you to gigging again

Maybe I'll get another six
There's plenty like you to be found
Changed pickups not worth a penny
Sniffing for refins and deals on the ground

So goodbye Mapleglo six
Where the players of rhythm ring on
I won't get you out of your case now,
I'm going back to my twelve

Back to the jangling old twelve
Hunting the compression and licks
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the Mapleglo six....
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

There's just no answer to that !!!
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Have you sold or listed the 330 yet?

Congrats on the 660!
andyenobs

Post by andyenobs »

Hi Bob Anderson
I have only just picked up your question. Yes I traded it in for a Taylor Grand Pacific in natural finish.
The one thing I just couldn't hack with the 330 was that the neck felt tacky in minutes. I bought it as new old but I don't know what Ricky Sounds cleaned it with but it was terrible. The whole guitar needed a good clean when I first got it but the neck never felt good even after cleaning it with vinegar and water and re-polishing it with a good guitar polish. So I have my 660s and i feel good with them.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”