Rick-o-sound output

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

holty

Rick-o-sound output

Post by holty »

Whilst trying out a 4003S yesterday, the dealer here in the UK told me that, going forward new 4003 we’re going to loose the stereo rick-o-sound output. I was surprised to hear this. Is this correct?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Rick-o-sound output

Post by iiipopes »

holty wrote:Whilst trying out a 4003S yesterday, the dealer here in the UK told me that, going forward new 4003 we’re going to loose the stereo rick-o-sound output. I was surprised to hear this. Is this correct?
I don't think so. the "S" has been mono, but the regular 4003 is so ingrained I don't see RIC changing it.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Maybe he's confusing the fact that RIC stopped making/offering the cord/box that splits the signals going to your two amps. Others make more streamlined cord alternatives. I've not heard that the Rick-O-Sound feature will be discontinued.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

holty wrote:Whilst trying out a 4003S yesterday, the dealer here in the UK told me that, going forward new 4003 we’re going to loose the stereo rick-o-sound output. I was surprised to hear this. Is this correct?
With extremely rare exceptions, the S model never had ROS. Your dealer has no idea what he/she's talking about.

If he/she was referring to the standard 4003 model, then, for sure, they are clueless.

Another possibility is that they are trying to sell what they have in stock vs. any custom ordering, say for a color they do not currently have in inventory, using the predatory practice of placing fear in the customer's mind that they won't be able to have ROS on a future model if they wait and not buy what the dealer already has on hand. Either way, I would avoid such a dealer.
holty

Post by holty »

I think clueless is an apt description. He was definitely referring to the 4003, and not the ROS box. He probably was trying to pushing me to buy the 4003S that was the only model he had in.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

If you don't use, or foresee using ROS, a 4003S is what I would get, these days. Great bass, that harkens back to the RM1999 of yore. :D
syncop8r
Veteran RRF member

Post by syncop8r »

jps wrote:
With extremely rare exceptions, the S model never had ROS. Your dealer has no idea what he/she's talking about.
Oh really? Mine has ROS, I just assumed they all did.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark: Some did. :lol: From the RRF Gallery a 1982 4003S.
4003S 1982.jpg
Or? Maybe a B series model as Ettore Baldini-Neto has suggested on the RRF facebook site.
b-series.jpg
Others (Johm Simmons) on Facebook have noted the absence of the toaster in the neck position and spacers underneath the surround of the treble pickup put in the wrong position. Could this be a protoype B series perhaps, or a custom order 4003S? :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:Mark: Some did. :lol: From the RRF Gallery a 1982 4003S.
4003S 1982.jpg
Or? Maybe a B series model as Ettore Baldini-Neto has suggested on the RRF facebook site.
b-series.jpg
Others (Johm Simmons) on Facebook have noted the absence of the toaster in the neck position and spacers underneath the surround of the treble pickup put in the wrong position. Could this be a protoype B series perhaps, or a custom order 4003S? :)
I wonder what it looks like under the hood?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Understand that the "B" series bass had varying features. It was at first a 4001SB, then the 4003SB. It was RIC's first attempt at making a "vintage" model and tried making the bass look like one the Beatles used. It's obvious from the ad that the instruments they chose were similar to the ones played by Paul, George, and John, but nowhere in the ad does the name "Beatles" appear. But the features of the bass varied to what what was available at the time. When there were no more 4001S basses to be made into "B" models (basically with the substitution of a Toaster pickup and sometimes vintage-style knobs), they used the new (at the time) 4003S model. I was told that once John Hall bought the company from his father, he killed off the B series and produced the V series with more vintage-looking features. So the differences between a 4003S and a 4003SB are uncertain. The likelyhood of the S or the B series being built with the Rick-O-Sound are about the same; most don't have it, some do. The whole story is in the book.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Holty, try Forsyths in Manchester. They have 4003 FG and JG for £1,985. Sometimes they have more Ricks than the website shows. Good dealer.
holty

Post by holty »

Thanks Pete, will do. Have found a couple of 4003 at Coda which might be NOS 2017, but need to check. Cheers rob
syncop8r
Veteran RRF member

Post by syncop8r »

admin wrote:Mark: Some did. :lol: From the RRF Gallery a 1982 4003S.
4003S 1982.jpg
Same year as mine. :D
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I bought a 4003, but am liking the looks of the s models more and more.
I don’t use ROS at all.
All these models and variations are very interesting.
Besides the lack of the binding and inlays, are there any diffs between the 3 and 3s models that make a difference in sound or playability?
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

To be honest, most dealers in the UK don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to Rics. The misinformation I’ve had to correct is endless.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”