I Think I Know How 4002 Pickup Positions Were Determined

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: I Think I Know How 4002 Pickup Positions Were Determined

Post by iiipopes »

A couple more thoughts:

1) If the base of the plate bridge is wide enough that in moving up the saddles they will still be secure on the bridge plate, then the answer is getting saddle adjustment screws that are @1/2 inch longer than what is there to move the saddle up the necessary 3/8 inch. On measuring, my bridge plate is wide enough, and I found a supplier to send me the necessary length screws for saddle intonation adjustment, #6-40 X 1 3/4. Special order, but they are on the way. That will save a significant amount of work repositioning the bridge.
2) If the truss rod in the neck is not too long, you might be able to shave 3/8 off the underside of the neck heel, leaving the fretboard intact in order to get all 21 frets on it. Doing that is a guess, but if it is possible, that saves having to rout the neck pocket. I guess I will find out the hard way. But the "skunk stripe" in the back of the project neck I have is short enough at the heel this may be the way to go, again, saving substantial time in routing more from the neck pocket.

Both of these alternatives, modifying only the neck and changing without modifying hardware allow retrofit of "stock" neck and bridge parts to the body if it becomes necessary to send the bass down the road.

Oh, the machinations those of us who are 4002 aficiandos engage in because RIC at this point does not think it is a good business decision to re-issue or at least re-visit the 4002!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scott thanks for moving the new ideas forward. :idea:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The actual story is that George Cole, the Chief Engineer at that time (and great bass player) used a stroboscope to locate and map nodes for various harmonics along the strings as they were fretted. We then used that data to select locations where the most useful ones would fall within the aperture of the pickup. At the same time, from the same observations, lead weights were added under the fingerboard of the 4002 and subsequent 4000 series instruments to dampen notes that had overwhelming resonance.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Mind blown.

Also:

Dammit whyd you make me want a 4002 again lol
ram

Post by ram »

John Hall, thanks for that! I love the whys and wherefores kinds of stuff. Too bad there wasn't a "Mister Wizard" kind of news reel done of the process... As Mister Spock would say 'fascinating'.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Any chance of a new run of 4002s? Wouldn't necessarily need to be an exact copy. For instance, I don't suppose that the balanced, low impedance output would be used much. Perhaps HB1 pickups? Ebony fretboard might not be practical in the current climate, but there are options.

Something to think about.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Isaac wrote:Any chance of a new run of 4002s? Wouldn't necessarily need to be an exact copy. For instance, I don't suppose that the balanced, low impedance output would be used much. Perhaps HB1 pickups? Ebony fretboard might not be practical in the current climate, but there are options.

Ever since the 4002's went out of production, every year at least one person appeals to RIC to reissue it or make a continuation model incorporating the "best" of the details of the 4002.
basmansam

Post by basmansam »

iiipopes wrote:
Isaac wrote:Any chance of a new run of 4002s? Wouldn't necessarily need to be an exact copy. For instance, I don't suppose that the balanced, low impedance output would be used much. Perhaps HB1 pickups? Ebony fretboard might not be practical in the current climate, but there are options.

Ever since the 4002's went out of production, every year at least one person appeals to RIC to reissue it or make a continuation model incorporating the "best" of the details of the 4002.
Buy a 4003AC, send to Dane/aceonbass to make a 4002 pickguard.
Spray the fingerboard with roundup!!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

basmansam wrote:Buy a 4003AC, send to Dane/aceonbass to make a 4002 pickguard.
Spray the fingerboard with roundup!!
Roundup!? :shock:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Kills the green stuff, yes? Kills more than that, though!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I love my 4003AC, no glyphosate necessary.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”