Rickenbacker 350v63 bridge question - is this normal?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cboehmig

Rickenbacker 350v63 bridge question - is this normal?

Post by cboehmig »

I'm not at home so can't take a picture, but I have a question about the bridge on my newly purchased (2019 model) 350v63. The strings align with the neck properly and it plays and sounds great so this is probably just cosmetic, but looking at the saddles the low E string notch is really far to the left (bass) side of the saddle, almost all the way to the edge. It clears the bridge cover and doesn't buzz but it's pretty close to the cover. On the high E side the notch is closer to the middle of the saddle and the string clears the bridge cover with plenty of room. Is my bridge mounted off-center or is this normal / within range for a Ric 350v63?

I assume that since the strings line up with the fretboard and are well spaced this issue is merely cosmetic but the off-centerness of the strings compared to the bridge cover bugs me, and this was an expensive guitar... wondering if I do an exchange I'll get the same thing.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rickenbacker 350v63 bridge question - is this normal?

Post by admin »

cboehmig wrote:I'm not at home so can't take a picture, but I have a question about the bridge on my newly purchased (2019 model) 350v63. The strings align with the neck properly and it plays and sounds great so this is probably just cosmetic, but looking at the saddles the low E string notch is really far to the left (bass) side of the saddle, almost all the way to the edge. It clears the bridge cover and doesn't buzz but it's pretty close to the cover. On the high E side the notch is closer to the middle of the saddle and the string clears the bridge cover with plenty of room. Is my bridge mounted off-center or is this normal / within range for a Ric 350v63?

I assume that since the strings line up with the fretboard and are well spaced this issue is merely cosmetic but the off-centerness of the strings compared to the bridge cover bugs me, and this was an expensive guitar... wondering if I do an exchange I'll get the same thing.

Thanks!
Is this what you see, Charles? A rather typical finding?

Bridge View
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Not a guitar, but here is a photo of the bridge on my old Feb '67 4005WB.
4005WB BA II Holes 01.jpg
Never thought twice about it.
cboehmig

Post by cboehmig »

admin wrote:
cboehmig wrote:I'm not at home so can't take a picture, but I have a question about the bridge on my newly purchased (2019 model) 350v63. The strings align with the neck properly and it plays and sounds great so this is probably just cosmetic, but looking at the saddles the low E string notch is really far to the left (bass) side of the saddle, almost all the way to the edge. It clears the bridge cover and doesn't buzz but it's pretty close to the cover. On the high E side the notch is closer to the middle of the saddle and the string clears the bridge cover with plenty of room. Is my bridge mounted off-center or is this normal / within range for a Ric 350v63?

Thanks!

Bridge View
Yes, it looks like that, maybe even a little more extreme than that. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cboehmig wrote:
admin wrote:

Thanks!

Bridge View
Yes, it looks like that, maybe even a little more extreme than that. Thanks!
Charles as it plays and sounds great, this is probably as close as it needs to be. No harm in checking with a luthier, though.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
cboehmig

Post by cboehmig »

I just worry that if I send it back for an exchange I'll get one that has the same deal but that doesn't play as nice. I think I'll hang onto it.

I'll try to get a picture up later so folks can see what I mean.
cboehmig

Post by cboehmig »

I found one online that looks like mine:

https://cornermusic.com/Rickenbacker-350V63-Jetglo.html

So I guess it's not unique.
rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

Aesthetic hardware alignment does not appear as being the strongest point @ Rickenbacker occasionally.
Although it is probably not affecting the functionality/playability of the instrument.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rickinroma wrote:Aesthetic hardware alignment does not appear as being the strongest point @ Rickenbacker occasionally.
Although it is probably not affecting the functionality/playability of the instrument.
Yes but it is always nice when things line up. :)

rickinroma
RRF Consultant

Post by rickinroma »

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars...erm, the strings LOL

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”