A Lockdown Discovery

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
hamilton_square

A Lockdown Discovery

Post by hamilton_square »

While here in the UK I vaguely remember June Millington more as a 1970s feminist songwriter than a hard rockin’ guitarist. I knew absolutely nothing of the all-girl group that she and her younger sister, Jean Millington, together with drummer Alice de Buhr, and a couple of friends, formed in 1965 when living in Sacramento.

In April 1969, then known as Wild Honey, the girls relocated to Los Angles "to either sign with a label or go back to school." They were eventually spotted at an open mic session at The Troubadour Club, West Hollywood and signed by record producer Richard Perry whose biggest hit up until then had been God Bless Tiny Tim.

Classically trained keyboard player Nickey Barclay was soon added and Richard Perry managed to get the girls a record deal with Warner Records on the Reprise label. The one record company stipulation being that the group change their name to one more female friendly – and, so they became FANNY.

For the next five years if Fanny weren’t in a studio recording an album a year then they were on the road supporting such bands as Slade, Jethro Tull and Humble Pie.

On 23 November 1971 Fanny set up inside a studio in the German city of Bremen to record a live session to be later edited and televised on the popular Beat Club programme. All I have to say is that it was an extremely tight performance by four girls on top of their game. I’m not surprised that as a group they were in popular demand as a live supporting band.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A Lockdown Discovery

Post by admin »

Peter, outstanding musicians and as you say, at they top of their game. Thanks for bringing this video to our attention. Just love the keyboard work and Bulldog rocks.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”