New member and first time Ric owner!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

drumbob
RRF Consultant

Re: New member and first time Ric owner!

Post by drumbob »

Unless I'm wrong, it looks like Montezuna Brown. It's certainly not AutumnGlo, unless they had a different paint formula at one time. One of my 330-12s is AutumnGlo, and it looks nothing like yours.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

drumbob wrote:Unless I'm wrong, it looks like Montezuna Brown. It's certainly not AutumnGlo, unless they had a different paint formula at one time. One of my 330-12s is AutumnGlo, and it looks nothing like yours.
It is Autumnglo.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

sloop_john_b wrote:
drumbob wrote:Unless I'm wrong, it looks like Montezuna Brown. It's certainly not AutumnGlo, unless they had a different paint formula at one time. One of my 330-12s is AutumnGlo, and it looks nothing like yours.
It is Autumnglo.
Then, Rickenbacker has had a couple of different versions of that finish, as the 330-12 I'm playing in my avatar is AutumnGlo and it looks nothing like the OP's guitar. The guy I bought it from on this forum told me it was AutumnGlo when we did the deal. He may have been wrong, but he seemed like a knowledgeable collector.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

drumbob wrote: Then, Rickenbacker has had a couple of different versions of that finish, as the 330-12 I'm playing in my avatar is AutumnGlo and it looks nothing like the OP's guitar. The guy I bought it from on this forum told me it was AutumnGlo when we did the deal. He may have been wrong, but he seemed like a knowledgeable collector.
Correct, they have.

Autumnglo is a brown sunburst with a matte finish, versus Walnut, which is a brown sunburst with a high-gloss finish. The guitar in question here is textbook Autumnglo (which, supposedly, was specifically intended for the Canadian market, though John Hall has denied that; unsure how that started but it has propagated here for over fifteen years).
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

sloop_john_b wrote:
drumbob wrote: Then, Rickenbacker has had a couple of different versions of that finish, as the 330-12 I'm playing in my avatar is AutumnGlo and it looks nothing like the OP's guitar. The guy I bought it from on this forum told me it was AutumnGlo when we did the deal. He may have been wrong, but he seemed like a knowledgeable collector.
Correct, they have.

Autumnglo is a brown sunburst with a matte finish, versus Walnut, which is a brown sunburst with a high-gloss finish. The guitar in question here is textbook Autumnglo (which, supposedly, was specifically intended for the Canadian market, though John Hall has denied that; unsure how that started but it has propagated here for over fifteen years).
OK, then I'm confused as to what the finish is on my Rick 330-12, the one in my avatar. Was there a limited finish called AmberGlo?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

drumbob wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:
Correct, they have.

OK, then I'm confused as to what the finish is on my Rick 330-12, the one in my avatar. Was there a limited finish called AmberGlo?
There was a "Color of the Year" finish called Amber Fireglo, available for order in 2006 (and I believe 2007 as well).

Your avatar photo is quite small - can you post a larger photo here along with the serial number?
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

How's this? The serial number is B5 9348. These are both my 330-12s.
Attachments
Rick 12s 003.JPG
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

That's the lovely deep fireglo from the late 80s - early 90s. I used to own a 1990 340/6 VP with the same coloration. Beautiful guitar, Bob...it's from Feb 1992.
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

chronictown wrote:That's the lovely deep fireglo from the late 80s - early 90s. I used to own a 1990 340/6 VP with the same coloration. Beautiful guitar, Bob...it's from Feb 1992.
Thank you for clarifying that. I could have sworn the seller told me it was AutumnGlo. I see a lot of differing shades of FireGlo out there. Some of them look like Clownburst; bright red and yellow, which I don't like. I've even see examples that look almost pink in the middle, which blew my mind a bit, as Rickenbacker has never made a pink guitar to my knowledge. Personally, I think a pink Rick would look ridiculous! I like Shell Pink on a Strat, but not a Rickenbacker.

BTW, the MapleGlo 330-12 now has Toasters installed.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Nice guitar Bob!

Several finishes were discontinued in 1983/84, including Autumnglo.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

chronictown wrote:That's the lovely deep fireglo from the late 80s - early 90s.
I never heard of that before. So the FireGlo from those years was different?

I have a 1992 FireGlo -- to me it just looked like FireGlo.

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

All hand-sprayed translucent finishes like fireglo vary from day to day. Tendencies can be seen era to era... e.g. the late 90's and early 00's you see a lot of Harrison clownglo's on all kinds of 360's, getting ready to spray C63 models. 1968 IIRC is a very light color, almost an orange-glo. And I've seen some fireglos that barely have any natural in the center. Some mid00's are called steakglo for the pink center, the list goes on and on. Anything pre-UV (c.2007?) usually yellows, hence natural ambering effect. The 92 posted above definitely didn't look that yellow in 1992! :)
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

jdogric12 wrote:All hand-sprayed translucent finishes like fireglo vary from day to day. Tendencies can be seen era to era... e.g. the late 90's and early 00's you see a lot of Harrison clownglo's on all kinds of 360's, getting ready to spray C63 models. 1968 IIRC is a very light color, almost an orange-glo. And I've seen some fireglos that barely have any natural in the center. Some mid00's are called steakglo for the pink center, the list goes on and on. Anything pre-UV (c.2007?) usually yellows, hence natural ambering effect. The 92 posted above definitely didn't look that yellow in 1992! :)
Thanks for that info.

I wonder if it was a directive from above or simply just the individual folks working in the factory at those times who had their own style of spraying the finish
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

jdogric12 wrote:All hand-sprayed translucent finishes like fireglo vary from day to day. Tendencies can be seen era to era... e.g. the late 90's and early 00's you see a lot of Harrison clownglo's on all kinds of 360's, getting ready to spray C63 models. 1968 IIRC is a very light color, almost an orange-glo. And I've seen some fireglos that barely have any natural in the center. Some mid00's are called steakglo for the pink center, the list goes on and on. Anything pre-UV (c.2007?) usually yellows, hence natural ambering effect. The 92 posted above definitely didn't look that yellow in 1992! :)
What Jason said. Fireglo ain't just fireglo! For a "standard" finish it's been remarkably varied over the years. Examples from the late 80s - early 90s tend to have a deeper red than most other eras, and of course with the patina of ~30 years they now look quite sharp IMO.

Tom, that's a fantastic 360/12 you have there...between that and Bob's 330/12 I'm really starting to miss my old 340. I feel a purchase coming on. Must resist :lol: .
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

chronictown wrote: Tom, that's a fantastic 360/12 you have there..
Thank you.

That guitar is a '92, nearly thirty years old, and yet the shine on it is still remarkably blinding. I use Zymol car wax (and sometimes the Ric recommended 50/50 Turtle Wax/water) on it, but clearly there is more to the guitar than just a good waxing that gives it such a lasting shine. Whatever Ric used back then sure was the right thing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”