Marvin's Use Of The Burns' Double Six

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

Marvin's Use Of The Burns' Double Six

Post by admin »

It is well known that Hank Marvin worked with Jim Burns in the design of what would become the Burns' Marvin six string guitar. Shortly before its release, however, Burns added the Burns' "Double Six" twelve string to their guitar line. It came in white and green finishes with the white being more appealing in my view.

From the Burns' Site
Double Six /64

The guitar to a large extent responsible for the British sound of the sixties. Used by The Searchers, Shadows, Troggs, as well as most other UK bands. It was also a favourite of Elvis'. Essentially, the guitar was a 12-string Marvin with TriSonic pick-ups and a simpler bridge. (1964-65).
burns12green.jpg
For the Marvin historians, on what recordings did Hank use the Marvin Double Six?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
somebodyelseuk

Re: Marvin's Use Of The Burns' Double Six

Post by somebodyelseuk »

I know it's on 'Don't Talk To Him' & 'On The Beach' with Sir Cliff and it and/or the Barracuda are on 'Place In The Sun', 'Maroc 7' & 'Warlord' and there's a tune on Rockin With Curly Leads that sounds like it might be the Barracuda, as well. There is the story that ALL the Burns guitars were stolen in the early 70s, though I believe Bruce Welsh still has his original Burns guitars, so I tend to think it was just Hank's that went, so it is possible, and it sounds to me like there is a Burns on a couple of tracks on that album.
"As long as I stay between 'The Sun & My Shadow', I guess, I'm doing well..."
Ratam

Post by Ratam »

admin wrote: Burns added the Burns' "Double Six" twelve string to their guitar line.
Thanks to that action we have them now.
admin wrote: It came in white and green finishes with the white being more appealing in my view.
True. The green one was less selling as far as the Internet says
Tele295

Post by Tele295 »

Elvis had the green Double Six. It was still on display at Graceland when I was there last.
If I'm not with you
I'm not so much of a man
I'm like a fish on the sand
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Tele295 wrote:Elvis had the green Double Six. It was still on display at Graceland when I was there last.
Wow! The last post in this thread was over eight years ago. :mrgreen:

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”