I've been seeing this in my mind for years....

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teb
Advanced Member

I've been seeing this in my mind for years....

Post by teb »

.… and thanks to my Wildwood edition 4003 and some nice work by Tony at Pickguardian I can now see it in real life. The "Mother of Toilet Seat" pearl is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they make a pretty handsome pair.
Attachments
guard3.jpg
iriane

Re: I've been seeing this in my mind for years....

Post by iriane »

Maybe solid pearl would work (without the ply stripe around the edge; you can get beautiful solid pearl material at Warmoth in sheets) but it kinda has the same effect as when people put a tort pickguard on a Rick. The ply stripes for some reason make it look Fender-y; Ricks just don't look right with them or with beveled edges.

Maybe an aged pearl or parchment pearl would look more correct and "less white"; i.e., more vintage-y, like the Hofner (which also doesn't seem to have the striped bevel). The Warmoth solid pearl BTW is also ever-so-slightly transparent (like an old Rick pickguard) and it has that silvery-swirly vintage deep swimming-pool character, but it's not an aged yellow color...more of an aged silvery white, similar to the Rick inlay plastic material:

You could probably have a sheet shipped to Tony to work his magic. That's the plan on a couple of my Ricks.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I'm perfectly happy with this one as is. "Fender-y"? Not to my eye, but the only Fender I've ever owned was a Rosewood Harrison Tele that just had a black guard.

As for Rics not looking "right" with beveled edges on their guards. I agree, those I make don't look "right", they look better than just right. To each his own.
Attachments
plexi-guards.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

iriane wrote:... similar to the Rick inlay plastic material.
How's this pickguard for matching the current inlays?
Pickguard by Pickguardian
Pickguard by Pickguardian
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I had that type on my old 360 six string, though the fingerboard inlays of that particular vintage were less white-ish than some of the more current ones which I have seen.
Attachments
360-6.jpg
iriane

Post by iriane »

jps wrote:

That's a good match. Looks much, much better not only in the color match but also the pattern match...and in the lack of the striped ply bevel. That bass btw has a particularly nice fretboard; it looks dipped in Karo syrup that it's so deep and shiny. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

iriane wrote:That's a good match. Looks much, much better not only in the color match but also the pattern match...
I would hope so, it's the same material. :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teb wrote:I had that type on my old 360 six string, though the fingerboard inlays of that particular vintage were less white-ish than some of the more current ones which I have seen.
Very nice looking, Todd. 8)
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

jps wrote:
4003JPSVP_Neck-Detail_1280_7114.jpg
Nice! Who does those?
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

teb wrote:.… and thanks to my Wildwood edition 4003 and some nice work by Tony at Pickguardian I can now see it in real life. The "Mother of Toilet Seat" pearl is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they make a pretty handsome pair.
Like!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

kennyhowes wrote: Nice! Who does those?
Tony (Pickguardian) made that, along with a standard white version, for me.
4003JPSVP_1200_7114.jpg
iriane

Post by iriane »

jps wrote:
kennyhowes wrote: Nice! Who does those?
Tony (Pickguardian) made that, along with a standard white version, for me.
4003JPSVP_1200_7114.jpg
I like how you weren't afraid to drill a new hole for the bigger pickguard. Looks very well done. I don't care for the thumbrest, but I understand why you have it there. Why didn't you go all the way with a horseshoe surround? You were almost there (not that it doesn't look great as it is); it just seems that after doing all that to have it look old-school, you would have gone that extra step.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Yeah Jeff. Now that the ultimate self-proclaimed authority on Rickenbacker cosmetics has arrived to tell us what we all are doing so wrong, we'll just all need to try harder.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teb wrote:Yeah Jeff. Now that the ultimate self-proclaimed authority on Rickenbacker cosmetics has arrived to tell us what we all are doing so wrong, we'll just all need to try harder.
:lol: :mrgreen:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

iriane wrote:I like how you weren't afraid to drill a new hole for the bigger pickguard. Looks very well done. I don't care for the thumbrest, but I understand why you have it there. Why didn't you go all the way with a horseshoe surround? You were almost there (not that it doesn't look great as it is); it just seems that after doing all that to have it look old-school, you would have gone that extra step.
You didn't mention that I routed the body to put the toaster in the vintage location on the JG 4003. :wink: :lol:

The finger rest is for obvious reasons.

On my old 4001V63, I did not drill new holes for the new pickguard, but I did do so for the mid '60s TRC I had on it for a while (it lives on my 4004L SPC now, no new holes were required).
4001V63-1200_9082.jpg
4001V63-800_9093a.jpg
4004L-SPC-Stickley-819-Sideboard-1200_2263.jpg
I did have a mid '60s horseshoe surround for a while that I (drilled new holes for) installed on my 4003FL, along with same as above regarding re-positioning the toaster (note the toaster in the bridge location, too). I drilled new pickguard screws for that bass, also.
4003FLV 1280 13.jpg
The Hipshot bridge was installed to allow for more rearward adjustment on that bass for better intonation (yes, I do intonate my fretless basses).

As to why I didn't install the vintage HS PU surround in the JG 4003, I was thinking about 1968. :wink:
Basses  - '68 Rickenbacker Catalog.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”