info about headstock angle and top thickness (330-360)

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dimitree

info about headstock angle and top thickness (330-360)

Post by Dimitree »

hello everybody
I can't seem to find consistent infos about some specs that I'm looking for about the 330 and 360, particularly vintage models (60's-70's).
I'm wondering, what's the angle for the headstock? looking at the photos looks like 5° or 6° or 7°, but I may be wrong. Also, is the headstock angle the same for the 6 strings models and 12 strings models?
Another info I'm looking for, the top/bottom wood thickness on the body. I once read 1/4", but only from one source, so I'm asking if this is correct.
many thanks
Dimitri
collin

Re: info about headstock angle and top thickness (330-360)

Post by collin »

I don't recall the exact pitch off the top of my head, but the angle is the same for both 6- and 12-string models.

The top thickness varied quite a bit, but 1/4" is the norm for most 60s and 70s instruments, front and back. Sometimes thinner, depending on the model but a thinner top and back is more susceptible to neck movement, IMO.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I wanna say the tops got really thick around 1978, give or take a year or two.
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

I've heard tell that tops became thicker when the company began producing convertible 6/12-string instruments later on in the 60s...anyone know if that's actually correct?
collin

Post by collin »

chronictown wrote:I've heard tell that tops became thicker when the company began producing convertible 6/12-string instruments later on in the 60s...anyone know if that's actually correct?
I believe the thickness remained the same but around that time (1966) the top switched to a 2-piece instead of 3-piece construction and they also added a small support block inside the guitar (visible through the soundhole) to accept the converter comb arm screw. For a number of years you could find that little block even on non-converter models.
Dimitree

Post by Dimitree »

Thank you everyone! Any info about the headstong angle degrees?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Dimitree wrote:Thank you everyone! Any info about the headstong angle degrees?
Why not just go find a few and make the measurements, yourself?

Which designs are you planning on building?
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

collin wrote:
chronictown wrote:I've heard tell that tops became thicker when the company began producing convertible 6/12-string instruments later on in the 60s...anyone know if that's actually correct?
I believe the thickness remained the same but around that time (1966) the top switched to a 2-piece instead of 3-piece construction and they also added a small support block inside the guitar (visible through the soundhole) to accept the converter comb arm screw. For a number of years you could find that little block even on non-converter models.
Very cool, thanks Collin 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”