Buying a 360/12C63

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jsegovia

Buying a 360/12C63

Post by jsegovia »

Hi, folks. I'm a very long-time Beatles and Rickenbacker 12 string electric fan (no pun intended), and I've finally committed to buying a 360/12C63. I've read lots of older threads in this forum that say the wait time for these guitars has been up to three years. Can anyone tell me if that's still the case or if this has gotten better?

I'm currently on a waiting list for a brand new one (although I didn't pay a deposit so ...) at a very good price, much cheaper than these guitars typically sell for on ebay and reverb, and the seller said he contacted Rickenbacker and was told it's due in August. I talked to another big music store chain that wanted the full price right now - he said they'd probably put a hold on the credit card for the full amount but then release it at some point, although he couldn't say when - and that guitar would be due at the end of the year. I've also read on this forum Rickenbacker never tells any store when they'll get their guitars, so these dates may not be accurate.

I don't actually have an immediate need for one; I'm getting one for home recording and maybe for some Tom Petty tunes my classic hard rock band plays, although I'm the only guitarist in the band and most of the tunes we'd do have 6 and 12 string parts so I guess I'd have to have the 12 string set up on a stand so I can play the 12 string parts but still have my 6 string around my neck for solos, important 6 string lines, etc. And who knows when my band will start rehearsing again, let alone play out again? The point is I can wait although I do not want to wait three years. If it comes in August for their current price I will be very happy, but given what I've read on this forum I'm thinking there might be more than one long delay. Otherwise why do folks pay such a big premium for used 360/12v64s and c63s?

Anyway, I'm still a very hopeful future Rickenbacker player, excited with the possibility of getting the guitar that buzzed so beautifully on so many great Beatles tunes, not to mention the Byrds, Beau Brummels, Jeff Buckley, etc.

Jesse
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Buying a 360/12C63

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome. There is still quite a "Beatle tax," you're right. Call around, you never know who'll have one in stock and match a price. Go to RIC's site, Dealers, and just start clicking states and making calls if you have the time!
jsegovia

Re: Buying a 360/12C63

Post by jsegovia »

Thanks for the response and for the suggestion. I'm going to start calling local dealers and working my way out from there.

That would be great if I can find one on the Dealers list but if not, I'm hoping I can actually get one in August from the waiting list I'm on.

Jesse

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”