Playing the Rick 12 String as a 6 String

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jsegovia

Playing the Rick 12 String as a 6 String

Post by jsegovia »

Before I received my 360/12, I thought whenever I changed strings on it I would first string up the 6 original non-octave strings and then leave it like that for a while so I could play it as a 6 string, just so I could enjoy a different voice than my Gibsons and Fenders. But now I see the nut on this and I'm wondering how people would string a 12 stringer for 6 strings. If you leave the original strings where they are right now I guess that's the best way but it sort of leaves a gap between the high E and the edge of the neck, but if you put the E, B and G where the octave strings are (closer to the bottom edge of the neck) that would leave an odd gap between the D and G strings, right?

And I've seen an interview with Dave Gregory of XTC where he says you have to string the octave and unison strings first, and THEN put on the original six; otherwise it's way too difficult.

Those of you who've played a Rick 12 as a 6 string, how is it strung and does it feel any different from a comparable Rick 6 string?

Thanks!

Jesse
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Playing the Rick 12 String as a 6 String

Post by scott_s »

One idea: you could just put on the octave/unison strings and enjoy it in "Nashville tuning" for a while.
collin

Post by collin »

At various times in the last I’ve had one of my 12-strings set you with only six strings, and to be honest I didn’t overthink it. Simply took off the octave strings. So I suppose there was a gap between the high E and the edge of the fretboard but it didn’t stand out too much and my fingers never noticed.

Go for it!
chronictown
Veteran RRF member

Post by chronictown »

Same. I had a 450/12 that I played as a 6-string for a while, with the octave strings removed. The E-to-edge gap took very little time to get completely used to. I'm sure long term the neck would need tweaking to adjust to the reduced tension, but I never noticed any change over the 2-3 months playing my 12 as a 6.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I wouldn't do it just because of the tension thing, and it's a great excuse to get a Rick 6er! Or a convertible... :)

On 6's... I have to say I've been playing my 2000 330 SG a LOT lately. Can't believe how it's grown on me. Of course, its anomalous thin neck (for the era) is a big part of it.
jsegovia

Post by jsegovia »

scott_s wrote:One idea: you could just put on the octave/unison strings and enjoy it in "Nashville tuning" for a while.
Thanks for the idea! Yes, Dave Gregory of XTC (I actually don't know if they're still broken up or if they're back together at this point) leaves his Jet Glo rounded 360/12 with hi gain pickups in Nashville tuning. I may give it a try at some point. The only song I know that uses a Nashville tuned guitar is Billy Joel's 'Only the Good Die Young.'

Thanks!
jsegovia

Post by jsegovia »

And thanks, Chris and Jason, for bringing up the tension issue. I have no desire to compromise my 360/12 in any way so if that's a possibility with playing it as a 6 string even just for a little, I won't do it.

I would have enjoyed playing some rock, blues or country on something that's not a Les Paul, 335, Strat or Tele. I could've played some Who, Jam, Romantics, Beatles, etc. :)

And no, at this point I'm done with any new guitar purchases for a while! I've already ended up with two Quarantine guitars and that's probably two too many! :)

Jesse
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote:I wouldn't do it just because of the tension thing, and it's a great excuse to get a Rick 6er! Or a convertible... :)
Have you actually tested that, though?

The octave strings don't add that much tension, depending on the gauges. I've turned my 12 into a 6 many times without ever touching the truss rods.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Collin's right, you'll be fine, just don't leave it like that for many months or something.

As far as changing strings, I do the following since I prefer the R to the trapeze:

(where 1 is low low E)

12 off
12 on

10 off
11 off
11 on
10 on

etc

See the pattern? Get the top string out of the way so you can change the one down in the slot.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

XTC have been broken up for a long time.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”