Dating a Silver Hawaiian? + why does it sound much different

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dating a Silver Hawaiian? + why does it sound much different

Post by 3001 »

Hey all!

Picked up a second Silver Hawaiian, serial # D1272. it's got the two knobs on the right hand side. How can I tell what year it might of been made?

The thing sounds really great. I have another silver serial # D667 ...it sounds good, but not as good as this one I just got...maybe it's just different strings? Or the tone adjustment? hmm. It does have replaced tuners on it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Dating a Silver Hawaiian? + why does it sound much diffe

Post by admin »

3001 wrote:Hey all!

Picked up a second Silver Hawaiian, serial # D1272. it's got the two knobs on the right hand side. How can I tell what year it might of been made?

The thing sounds really great. I have another silver serial # D667 ...it sounds good, but not as good as this one I just got...maybe it's just different strings? Or the tone adjustment? hmm. It does have replaced tuners on it.
Please submit a photo and measure the pickup in inches.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Post by 3001 »

BD4653F4-2E9B-435E-90A7-314143F7FB6D_1_105_c.jpeg
Here ya go, 37 on the left, and the new one on the right. (I was told 37 by seller at least...)

Post by 3001 »

I'm in the middle of a move so no tape measurer atm unfortunately
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I dated a silver Hawaiian once. She was nice, but I eventually decided she was too old for me..........
ba-da-bump
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Could be a number of reasons for differences in sound, strings being one. There may be changes in the level of magnetism in the pickup magnets too, some older types could lose strength with age. The pickups may have been wound differently. The capacitors in the tone circuit can also change with age as well...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cjj wrote:Could be a number of reasons for differences in sound, strings being one. There may be changes in the level of magnetism in the pickup magnets too, some older types could lose strength with age. The pickups may have been wound differently. The capacitors in the tone circuit can also change with age as well...
Yes and the tone knob on one and not the other. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teb wrote:I dated a silver Hawaiian once. She was nice, but I eventually decided she was too old for me..........
ba-da-bump
No pun intended, of course, Teb. :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”