Wow! Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my 4001.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ch willie

Wow! Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my 4001.

Post by ch willie »

I've tried flats before but haven't liked them.

Lately, I've wanted to switch back to flats and got the Labellas. I've seen people praise them here, but you know, people hype what they like.

I can't believe how wonderful my Ric sounds with flats as opposed to rounds, at least for what I play. I'm 100% pleased with them.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
radapaw

Re: Wow! Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my 4001.

Post by radapaw »

flats vs rounds always come back to 'why not both' for me
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I keep rounds on my Precision and Jazz Basses. But I've got flats on my Hofner and Ric. I'm happy to have the best of both worlds.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
rictified

Post by rictified »

ch willie wrote:I've tried flats before but haven't liked them.

Lately, I've wanted to switch back to flats and got the Labellas. I've seen people praise them here, but you know, people hype what they like.

I can't believe how wonderful my Ric sounds with flats as opposed to rounds, at least for what I play. I'm 100% pleased with them.

Another good flatwound for Rics are Fender 9050's. I like both La Bellas and Fenders, the Fenders are a little bit brighter and the La Bella's have a little bit more midrange character.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

radapaw wrote:flats vs rounds always come back to 'why not both' for me
That's what I do with the two Laredos. :)
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

I've tried LaBella deep talking flats on P-basses a couple of times & I can't deal with the high tension.

They're way too tight & bowed the necks considerably.

I wouldn't dare try putting them on a Ric bass.

Anyone else here experience this?
teeder

Post by teeder »

I haven't tried LaBellas at all. Very happy with TI Flats on my '69 4001 and Fender 9050's on the old P-bass.
Nickle Roto's on the V63.

I like having 2 Ricks and 2 P's. One each with flats and rounds.

Actually had a small "acoustic" gig a couple weekends ago and it was the first time I used a bass with flats at one! I took the '62 P-bass and it was absolutely perfect. We played everything from Cash through to Soundgarden. :mrgreen:
A little tweak of the tone control or change in finger/pick placement and it was like having a different guitar.

Going to try the same thing with the '69 this weekend.
ram

Post by ram »

No, I like the DAddario ECB-84's. I like them a lot. very similar to their EXL170's.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I have a set of low tension labellas on order and a fresh set of deep talkin flats for my p, i'll report back post-shootout
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I have LaBella 43-104 gauge strings on my JMJ Mustang. It sounds so good with these I am tempted to try DTFs again on one (or more?) of my Rics. I thought I had finally settled in as a Chromes guy... but there is a really perfect mid-range character to the LaBellas compared to the Chromes with almost sound choked or compressed by comparison.

Anybody have experience re: 39-96 vs 43-104 gauges for a Ric bass? I am not worried about the bass handling the tension, more about getting that nice midrange character. The Mustang is short scale so I am thinking smaller gauges might be needed to get the same effect.
JM82

Post by JM82 »

cassius987 wrote:I have LaBella 43-104 gauge strings on my JMJ Mustang. It sounds so good with these I am tempted to try DTFs again on one (or more?) of my Rics. I thought I had finally settled in as a Chromes guy... but there is a really perfect mid-range character to the LaBellas compared to the Chromes with almost sound choked or compressed by comparison.

Anybody have experience re: 39-96 vs 43-104 gauges for a Ric bass? I am not worried about the bass handling the tension, more about getting that nice midrange character. The Mustang is short scale so I am thinking smaller gauges might be needed to get the same effect.
I currently have the 96 set on my 4003s, I had the fender 9050L for a while before that and I also had TI flats and have also tried the 43-104 DTF set. I liked all sets but the 96 is the best feel and sound for me, I liked the TIs a lot but they just a tiny bit too floppy for my liking. The fender set was a little bit to tight so the 96 labella is the perfect tension/feel for me. Sound wise there are plenty of mids with them, played aggressively with a pick, the sound can almost be round wound like.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

I had a set of LaBella DTF's on my C64S for a long while, and then decided to move to Roto flats.
The one thing I remember having to "deal with" was an oily residue that I had to wipe off before loading the strings up. Anyone else run across that same issue?
Anyway, seeing this discussion, and listening to this old clip of the DTF's on my bass has me thinking that maybe I should give 'em another shot! :wink:
https://soundcloud.com/bigbajoman/4001c ... flats-edit
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bigbajo60 wrote:The one thing I remember having to "deal with" was an oily residue that I had to wipe off before loading the strings up. Anyone else run across that same issue?
That's fairly common, from my experience. Before installing any new set of flatwounds, I wipe them down a few times with isopropyl alcohol until there is no more residue coming off of the strings.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Jeff, check your stacknob email!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
espidog

Post by espidog »

bigbajo60 wrote:Anyway, seeing this discussion, and listening to this old clip of the DTF's on my bass has me thinking that maybe I should give 'em another shot! :wink:
https://soundcloud.com/bigbajoman/4001c ... flats-edit
Excellent soundclip demo, that. Nice one. 8)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”