Information wanted: Wiring of a '58 or '59 Capri

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Information wanted: Wiring of a '58 or '59 Capri

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Actually I wonder how these guitars were wired.

AFAIK there were two 0,047 caps and a further cap.
The tone knobs worked "backwards".

Every information and detail is highly appreciated!

Here's a pic of a 1958 capri. Unfortunately I can't tell all details.
If there's a chance to uncover its secrets it would be my personal jackpot.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
Rickenbacker_360_Capri_1958_Phil-X_2_2T201_67.jpg
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Information wanted: Wiring of a '58 or '59 Capri

Post by scott_s »

The bass-cut cap (0.005uF, I would assume) can be seen between the two lower pots, as well. :)

I think I can make out "500K" on the upper left pot.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

It is essentially the same as 330 wiring with the in-line jangle cap. I think the original specs were 250 kohm pots for volume and 500 kohm pots for tone, although modern factory specs split the difference with 330 kohm pots. I prefer 500 kohm pots all round for maximum jangle for modern high-gains, although the vintage specs can keep lighter wound toasters from sounding thin. Modern capacitor specs are .0047 (instead of older nomenclature .005) for the jangle cap, and .047 for the tone caps (instead of .05). Personally, I put a .033 for the bridge pickup tone cap to let more high mids through when turning down instead of the .047.

Factory schematic for a 330:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19511.pdf
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I build reproduction wiring harnesses for C58's that are the same. It's really just a 4001S harness with the tone pots wired backwards.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Many thanks!

Some confirmation and a lot of new insights. Great!
That helps me very much.

Now I found a wiring that seems to be the way they used in the early days.

I don't want to buy it - I prefer to solder my own one with the parts I like most.

It's this:
Attachments
vint-harness.jpg
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

iiipopes wrote:It is essentially the same as 330 wiring with the in-line jangle cap. I think the original specs were 250 kohm pots for volume and 500 kohm pots for tone, although modern factory specs split the difference with 330 kohm pots. I prefer 500 kohm pots all round for maximum jangle for modern high-gains, although the vintage specs can keep lighter wound toasters from sounding thin. Modern capacitor specs are .0047 (instead of older nomenclature .005) for the jangle cap, and .047 for the tone caps (instead of .05). Personally, I put a .033 for the bridge pickup tone cap to let more high mids through when turning down instead of the .047.

That's got me thinking... When I switch from my Tele or Strat to the 330, I often need to turn up the amp's treble a bit. It would be nice to release a little bit more "edge" from my bridge Hi-Gain, if there is more available. Would you say that the effect of switching from 330K pots to 500K is significant, or more of a subtle thing that you would have to listen closely to catch? Thanks.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Hotzenplotz wrote:Many thanks!

Some confirmation and a lot of new insights. Great!
That helps me very much.

Now I found a wiring that seems to be the way they used in the early days.
I don't want to buy it - I prefer to solder my own one with the parts I like most.

It's this:
That wiring harness is not correct. It is for a 4001S with standard rotation tone pots. The output jack wire isn't even shielded. That is not how it was done in "the early days". The 1st pic in this thread shows the correct wiring.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

aceonbass wrote:
...The output jack wire isn't even shielded. That is not how it was done in "the early days". The 1st pic in this thread shows the correct wiring.
Exactly one of the reasons why I prefer to solder my own one.

The old way of of the tone pot rotation is quite easy to create by using the opposite lugs.

Beside these "little flaws" the rest of it must be the same, right?
Unfortunately at the first pic I can't tell all details.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

scott_s wrote:
iiipopes wrote:It is essentially the same as 330 wiring with the in-line jangle cap. I think the original specs were 250 kohm pots for volume and 500 kohm pots for tone, although modern factory specs split the difference with 330 kohm pots. I prefer 500 kohm pots all round for maximum jangle for modern high-gains, although the vintage specs can keep lighter wound toasters from sounding thin. Modern capacitor specs are .0047 (instead of older nomenclature .005) for the jangle cap, and .047 for the tone caps (instead of .05). Personally, I put a .033 for the bridge pickup tone cap to let more high mids through when turning down instead of the .047.

That's got me thinking... When I switch from my Tele or Strat to the 330, I often need to turn up the amp's treble a bit. It would be nice to release a little bit more "edge" from my bridge Hi-Gain, if there is more available. Would you say that the effect of switching from 330K pots to 500K is significant, or more of a subtle thing that you would have to listen closely to catch? Thanks.
I've never messed with the pots in any other models, but getting one of Dane's "correct" harnesses in my 650A was a night and day difference. Can't imagine ever going back. It also goes to show why I've owned 4 or 5 650's over the years, and always sold them quickly, but now my 650A will be one of the last ones I sell.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

So, did Lennon have a "jangle cap" on his original 325?
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

maxwell wrote:So, did Lennon have a "jangle cap" on his original 325?
I would assume it had one originally. After all his tinkering, who knows! :)
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

scott_s wrote: I would assume it had one originally. After all his tinkering, who knows! :)
Maybe he created a shunt by using some chewing gum wrap?
This stuff he had always around him. ;-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”