V68 (ish)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: V68 (ish)

Post by jps »

cheyenne wrote:I think its amazing how much better the 1/2" inch neck PU spacing looks compared to the modern version.

I know its only a half inch, but if your a RIC fan, you can notice it a mile away.
Don't forget the tonal differences, too (for some of us, anyway).
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

It absolutely sounds different. I don't think I prefer it to the 1'' sound necessarily, but both are good. For a while a lot of neck pickups on Ric basses seemed weak and at one point I equated this to the 1'' position, but with current basses I don't hear this issue anymore.

I do still have the 1/2'' spacing on my 4001FL and plan to keep i that way.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My Rickenbacker upbringing was my 4005WB with its neck toaster right up against the neck. I play open, and pinched, harmonics quite often, and pickup location makes a big difference in that regard.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have never liked the look of the ½" spacing. I much prefer the 1" from that perspective.

As far as sound, I can't say. I've never had the pleasure of playing a Ric with the ½" spacing. I will say that I don't really love the sound of my 4004Cii neck pickup, nestled snug up against the neck. It's not bad, mind you, and it's a useful sound, but it's not my favorite.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote:...I don't really love the sound of my 4004Cii neck pickup, nestled snug up against the neck. It's not bad, mind you, and it's a useful sound, but it's not my favorite.
Try a toaster.
teeder

Post by teeder »

jps wrote:
Isaac wrote:...I don't really love the sound of my 4004Cii neck pickup, nestled snug up against the neck. It's not bad, mind you, and it's a useful sound, but it's not my favorite.
Try a toaster.
Yeah, completely different animals.
ibal

Post by ibal »

gregson62 wrote:Limited Edition Bass. I had neck issues and the factory fret work was quite poor. There was a lot to work with, so I was able to sort it all out myself. I routed the body to move the neck pickup. Changes were done over 3 years ago and the bass has been the most stable Rickenbacker I have ever owned.
4003_AMB_CB_VP_Headstock.jpg
4003_AMB_CB_VP.JPG
Bass features a Pickguardian pickguard and tug bar, Dane WIlder vintage wiring harness and modified tail piece, Lollar Horseshoe pickup, an older Rickenbacker toaster pickup, and a host of restored vintage hardware sourced from various places. I have a plexi pickguard, as well, but prefer the stock style vintage white version. I have a 'volute style' vintage treble pickup surround that is back from the chromer and will soon have a custom pick guard, but I really love this bass 'as is'.

I'm very glad I didn't give up on this bass.
Did you cut a gap in the tailpiece? If so, how did you do it?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

jps wrote:
Try a toaster.
I'm using the neck pickup as a single coil already. Had to, as one of the coils is open. No idea how close a toaster might be to half of an HB-1.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote:
jps wrote:
Isaac wrote: No idea how close a toaster might be to half of an HB-1.
I have no idea, either, but the basic construction is totally different between the two pickups (regardless of one or two coils in the HB-1 being active, so to speak).
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I picked up the 1st in that run of Sweetwater 4003SMCB basses, but went a different route with my mods. I replaced the hi-gains with HB1's and appropriately spec'd wiring with push-pull coil taps, a push-pull vintage tone control on the bridge pickup, and a push-pull pot on the neck tone to engage a .01uF tone cap. I also made black acrylic guard and replaced the truss rod cover with a black one from a 4004L. The single dual action truss rod these come with is not replaceable without removing the fingerboard.
Attachments
20200914_103728_copy_640x1202.jpg
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Looks great, Dane! Wait . . . great Dane . . . hmm.

So the design of the new truss rod doesn't all for its easy removal? They must have a lot of faith in it not failing. Anyone have a graphic on how this type works? I'm having trouble understanding how it operates.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Hornbrille

Post by Hornbrille »

bassduke49 wrote:Looks great, Dane!
I second that! The HB1 bridge pickup with the chrome bezel just looks gorgeous.
1977 Fender Mustang Bass | 1978 Fender Jazz Bass | 1979 Guild B-302 | 1997 Rickenbacker 4001V63 | 2006 Rickenbacker 4003
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

bassduke49 wrote: So the design of the new truss rod doesn't allow for its easy removal? They must have a lot of faith in it not failing. Anyone have a graphic on how this type works? I'm having trouble understanding how it operates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8nqm5qP6A
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Thanks, Dane. :)
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

bassduke49 wrote:Looks great, Dane! Wait . . . great Dane . . . hmm.

So the design of the new truss rod doesn't all for its easy removal? They must have a lot of faith in it not failing. Anyone have a graphic on how this type works? I'm having trouble understanding how it operates.
Probably like 99% of the rest of the truss rods on the planet Paul!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”