First signs of the SEARCHERS splitting up

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

First signs of the SEARCHERS splitting up

Post by 13_temple_street »

Sitting playing my drums at the back of the group I can observe the other members of the group in action “,I suggest as from tonight you concentrate on playing your guitar and leave all the vocals to Mickey.
Who the F--- do you think you are, you’re only the F------ drummer, since when have you been promoted. You can F--- off “
I observed this exchange of words between Chris Curtis (Searchers drummer) and Tony Jackson (Searchers Bass player) It’s late Saturday afternoon they are on the stage at the Iron Door club ( Storyville Jazz club ) setting up the equipment for the Searchers evening performance.
I was shocked to observe this exchange of words because I had observed similar situations in other groups all ended in disaster.
With a heavy heart I climbed the stairs from the basement intending to make myself a cup of tea in the coffee bar kitchen. I sat in one of the booths.
Whilst drinking the tea it flashed in my mind a situation that occurred at the club late 1961 this scenario involved Johnny Sandon , Johnny was the groups lead singer in fact practically their only singer he was involved with all the vocal arrangements ( If you had observed Johnny in action you would understand why he enjoyed such an elevated position in the group who were billed as Johnny Sandon and the Searchers .
One evening the Searchers during a rehearsal session to try out some new material ,Johnny in formed the group that he was leaving to join the Remo Four who were going to France ,the news of Johnny’s intended departure sparked panic amongst the group,” Who was going to replace Johnny on vocals ,none of the group had experience of singing in public with the group , they had usually accompanied Johnny with the chorus ( Doo Wap –a- Wap Wap etc) With extra rehearsals they overcame this unwanted situation. All the members of the group became attractive vocalists.
The Searchers really arrived at the Iron Door (aka Storyville Jazz club) in 1962 after Johnny had left to join the Remo Four this was the first time I remember them playing they were impressive right from the start and more organised, soon they were playing in the club all the time .They used to think the club was their second home .
In June 1962 they were on the same bill as Jonny Kidd and the Pirates they were seen by Horst Fischer the unofficial booking agent for the Star Club in Hamburg . The Searchers joined the Merseybeat procession to Germany in October 1962. They all had to borrow money, Chris and John gave up their jobs. They arrived in Germany with the equivalent of 50 p .Horst advanced tha em money to tied them over the first week
Like all the Mersey groups before them because of the long hours they were on stage they were able to play any kind of music Despite their loyal following at the Storyville club and their success in Hamburg the group were still battling to regain the status before Johnny Sandon departed. Indication The annual Mersey Beat popular group poll organised by Bill Harry’s newspaper voters placed Jonny Sandon and the Searchers Number 5 in the December 1961 . One year later without Johnny Sandon they weren’t even in the top 20.
They could see their popularity slipping away they felt they had missed the boat .The Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers were in the Charts . I suggested they made their own tapes .It was decided they would use a tape to tape Grundig machine I had purchased to tape Freddie Starr .
In January 1963 set up their equipment downstairs in the Storville club, they taped Eleven songs based on their current numbers they performed on stage . They transferred the to Acetate disks sent the to various record producers in London . One producer Tony Hatch who was with PYE their A& R man was looking for a top flight Liverpool combo to replace the Beatles

:D
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Re: First signs of the SEARCHERS splitting up

Post by 13_temple_street »

https://youtu.be/DGlqSGoLJnE

In 1996 Johnny Sandon commited suiside.He had left the music industry was a Taxi Driver R.i.P.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”