Hiwatt Mains Plugs

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

strummeister

Hiwatt Mains Plugs

Post by strummeister »

I have aquired a 1973 Hiwatt Dr 103 trouble is the mains supply plug is missing and it is the old round type I think originally called a 'bulgin' the predecessor to the kettle leads of today. I am in the Uk. Do any of you learned fellows know where I can source one of these plugs? I think that most of the more popular amps had these plugs including Marshalls in 70s. I realise that I could refit with a modern day replacement but that has to be the final option as I would like to leave the amp in as original condition as possible Thanks
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Good luck! I rememebr seeing a website of an English dealer in used British amps. Don't remember the name, but he had some vintage parts. He sells a lot of used Selmers, Hiwatts, and Orange amps.

Since we're dealing with electricity, I would tend not to use vintage parts unless they were modern reproductions. I used quite a few brands on hospital equipment, where plugs really get used and abused. Hubbell plugs were my favorite. The plastic in these are practically breakproof, where many of the other brands would get impact fractures. Clear plastic tends to fracture worse. The one I have in my hand now is Hubbell# HBL5955VY, but it is for USA 15 amp, 125 volt applications. I like the compact square cross section that allows use on crowded outlet strips without having to skip outlets like a lot of the big round plugs have a tendency to cause. Mine is a loud yellow color. Better safe than sorry.

It would probably be better to take your old plug or one like it to an electrical supply house than an amp dealer. The amp manufacturers would have probably used a general electrical supply type plug like anybody else. You generally get better prices at electrical supply houses. Also do a web search based on the name of the manufacturer of the plug and look for their dealers. Buy several and stash a few if this originality Jones is going to be a big issue later on.

FWIW, I had to give about $8 per hospital grade Hubbell plug in quantity orders, vs. about $16 for a single plug. It's not a cheapo brand. It's a favorite brand among high end audio power cable manufacturers. Probably a step up from what Hiwatt used.
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Post by headbanger »

Try Radiospares. Bulgin plugs were still available in the early 90's & this is where I got them from(in Australia)
strummeister

Post by strummeister »

Gary / Philip Thanks for the input I will take it on board
bear

Post by bear »

You may want to give the guys at Plexi Palace a shot on this one.

Vintage Amps

Once there hit the Hiwatt Info Page.
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

They come up on ebay quite often, check under Marshall as they used the same ones.
"If only quilted maple grew on trees!"
http://www.leftyguitars.co.uk

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”