Signature Introductions to Classic Songs

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

The guitar intro to "I Go To Pieces" by Peter and Gordon sends shivers down my spine, as does the first vocal note ("Ah..." ) of Good Vibrations.
I believe McCartney owns Elvis' bassist's bass.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

The guitar intro to Peter and Gordon's "I Go To Pieces sends shivers down my spine, as does the first vocal note ("Ah...") of Good Vibrations.
I believe McCartney owns Elvis' bassist's standup bass.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I'll second that!
rictified

Post by rictified »

You really Got Me:

We went into a cheap little studio, and on the session was Mick Avory on drums, Dave Davies playing lead guitar—playing a Harmony guitar which was like a cheap version of a Gibson—I was playing a Maton which is a cheap version of a Harmony. I had a Wallace amplifier which was custom built. Dave was using a Vox and a little six watt pre-amp with knitting needles stuck in it. We had Arthur Greenslade—a session pianist—on piano, and a guy named Vic who was doubling my part because I was singing lead. So there were three guitars and a piano doing the riff. And for all I know, Jimmy Page must have been having dinner with his mother that night.

I remember Page coming to one of our sessions when we were recording "All Day And All Of The Night". We had to record that song at 10 o'clock in the morning because we had a gig that night. It was done in three hours. Page was doing a session in the other studio, and he came in to hear Dave's solo, and he laughed and he snickered. And now he says that he played it!
jerrymac51

Post by jerrymac51 »

No, I don't think Page played the lead (but I wouldn't be on it), but brother Ray's quote indicates that Page had at some time made that claim.

One thing's for certain, Page did play on some Kinks tracks, replacing Ray on rhythm guitar. Shel Talmy hired Jimmy:

"At that point, Ray didn't want to play rhythm guitar because he didn't feel he was good enough, so I hired Jimmy to do it. It was as simple as that." Kinks Kronikles pg. 44

As far as the Hermit's, there seems to be no doubt both Page & JP Jones played on most of their recordings. Peter No one says:

"Amazingly enough, we actually split right at the beginning. After the first album, it became apparent that in order to compete ably, we'd need to have people like Jimmy Page playing guitar and John Paul Jones playing bass, my friends, really. And that was a wound to the egos of the other guys. But you know what, they were really good guys. They were able to stick with it for quite a long time while having their noses constantly pushed in the poo-poo."

Poo-poo???

Ray Davies allegedly stabbed brother Dave over a french fry. If Ray really wanted to do permanent damage to his kid brother, what better way than to expose the fact that Page actually recorded THE solo??? Instead, Ray says,"...my brother Dave hasn't got too much going for him, but to try to take that stuff away from him is bulls**t. He invented that guitar sound. I wrote the song, but it wouldn't have been anything without his work." I love the "Dave hasn't got too much going for him" part. Nothing like brotherly love!!!

Anyway, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." And thanks Roy, I do have a copy of You Still Want Me.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

"Kicks" - Paul Revere and the Raiders.
rictified

Post by rictified »

"Memphis" Johnny Rivers.
"Johnnie B. Goode" Chuck Berry
"Maybelline" Chuck Berry
"I wanna hold your Hand" who was that now?
"She Loves You" again, who?
"Around and around" Stones
4 of these songs are Berry tunes.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Wilson Pickett's "99 and 1/2" -- only two notes repeated by Steve Cropper, but you know instantly what song's coming.
Ditto the horn riff on Sam & Dave's "Soul Man."
And of curse "Come Together," "Eight Days A Week" and the Beatles version of "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey."
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Liar Liar, The Castaways! One minute, fifty seconds later, it's all over!
rictified

Post by rictified »

It's my Life. The Animals
Don't Bring me Down.
House of the Rising Sun.
CC rider.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Animals fan, Bob? I love "The Animals on Tour" LP. Lost it to an ex-girlfriend.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

"Roll Over Beethoven" Berry of Harrison -- take your pick.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

"And Your Bird Can Sing" 1 of the all time best intros! Mac and Harrison cookin' on the solo.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

"I Need You" -The Kinks.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
wayang

Post by wayang »

Purple Haze, J. Hendrix
Dance To The Music, Sly Stone
Honky Tonk Women, Stones

My favorite Beatles intro is for '...Me and My Monkey'.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”