No argument here it's page

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
rictified

Post by rictified »

Remember The Mojomen?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Brian the Fleur De Lys track to which you refer was actually called Moondreams(Buddy Holly Song) with Wait For Me on the "B" Side.

Page produced the single and possibly played on it.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The history of (Les) Fleur-De-Lys is hard to keep up with as only Keith Gluser seems to have been a constant over their short career from 1965 to 1969.

I have no recordings of this group and wonder if any Fortune Tellers out there have their last release "Liar Liar" which has had good reviews with regard to excellent harmonies and fine guitar work.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

OK I stand corrected Moondreams and Wait for me were together so what was on Seven Golden Daffodils B side?

Page definitely played on Wait for me. It was his composition.

I used to have both records and I rehearsed with with their lead guitarist a couple of times so I should know this info.

Passage of time is the enemy of recollection.

Was Moondreams released in 1964 as I suspected?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

OK More on Les Fleur De Lys

Looks like Seven Golden Daffodils may have gone unreleased. Here is their BIO

Brian Poust sees the reflections of a sadly forgotten band

Tracing the story of Les Fleur de Lys is substantially more convoluted than I feel could be fully explained in a simple album review. Luckily, the liner notes in the 1996 collection, "Reflections", are pretty thorough and save us all the grief of making heads of tails of about 9 different line ups and connections to the total of seven groups represented on this album or CD, written by Miss Lucy Nation.

Whatever amount of confusion surrounding Les Fleur de Lys is luckily undermined by an outstanding collection of music left behind by these musicians. Whenever someone asks what "freakbeat" is, you can count on the explaining party pointing out any number of Fleur de Lys songs, like "Hold On" (with South African singer Sharon Tandy), "So Come On", their cover of The Who's "Circles" (produced by Jimmy Page), and the heavily compiled "Gong With the Luminous Nose" featuring a guitar riff unscrupulously ripped off by Paul Weller on his first album -- which I also like.

However, in addition to the slashing guitars and proto-psychedelic sounds most people associate with Les Fleur de Lys, this collection will also introduce you to some really cool and melodic psych-pop sounds like "Prodigal Son", "One Girl City", and two of my favorites on the album, "Brick By Brick" and "Liar". There is also the Curtis Mayfield penned "I've Been Trying" which I rate well above the Zoot Money and the Big Roll band version on their Live at Klooks Kleek album.

But wait! If that weren't enough for you, how about some darker sounds very reminiscent of Holland's Shocking Blue, of "Venus" fame? That's right, we're also treated to the brooding songs "Daughter of the Sun" with Sharon Tandy again, and "Tick Tock", which was actually originally attributed to a group called Shyster.

Speaking of those other band names, the other well known group connected to Les Fleur de Lys were Rupert's People who actually had an American released single on Bell Records. That single is "Reflections of Charles Brown" which has an undeniable propensity towards Procol Harum. The flip side is an earlier recording of the superb "Hold On" predating Sharon Tandy and adding some stunningly violent Hammond organ playing by Pete Solley, who went on to play with Arthur Brown, he of "Fire" fame!

The research that went into this collection is what really makes this an impressive collection of songs, as they have included tracks by the majority of erstwhile unknown artists who the main core of Les Fleur de Lys were involved in/with. It's not often that I wonder "why wasn't this song or that song included?" The compilers did an excellent job telling the story of Les Fleur de Lys.

Fans of British Psychedelia, late Sixties rock in general, and to some degree even fans of early Seventies pop are sure to froth at the mouth upon first listen to this CD. The vinyl is long out of print, but the CD still turns up with a fair amount of regularity due to the 1998 issue on Blueprint. If not at your favorite local record shop, you can probably order the CD from a number of respectable mail order houses specializing in Sixties music.

Finally, here is the track listing:

1. Circles
2. Mud In Your Eye
3. Gong With the Luminous Nose
4. Sugar Love (as John Bromley)
5. Hold On (as Sharon Tandy)
6. Prodigal Son
7. One Girl City
8. Daughter of the Sun (as Sharon Tandy)
9. Tick Tock (as Shyster)
10. I Can See the Light
11. Liar
12. I Forgive You (as Chocolate Frog)
13. So Come On
14. Hammerhead
15. Stop Crossing the Bridge
16. I Like What I'm Trying To Do (as Waygood Ellis)
17. Hold On (as Rupert's People)
18. Butchers & Bakers (as Chocolate Frog)
19. Wait For Me
20. Reflections of Charles Brown (as Rupert's People)
21. Brick By Brick
22. I've Been Trying
23. Moondreams
24. So Many Things (as John Bromley)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Reflections Of Charles Brown (I always thought it was Charlie)was a great track, somewhere in the back of my mind I recall Elton John being on that, but I am not a EJ fan.

Brian, Moondreams was issued in 65.

Love your "Passage of Time is the enemy of recollection" I'll use that.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Go ahead and use it. It's a line from a song I am in the process of writing. It's got kind of a Byrds flavour to it. Inspired by my new (to me at least) 360/12JG WB.

OK. 1965 you say. Roy That makes perfect sense because I left for Canada in August of 65. So the Daffodils song was before that. That probably means it was just a demo mock up.

Hopefully through all of my subsequent moves I kept it. I must have it somewhere amongst my treasure hoard. If I find it I'll send make an MP3 out it and send you a link.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes and let's hear your song wwhen finished as well.

I Would like to hear Seven Daffodils because the song to which I refer is sometimes also called Seven Golden Daffodils, originally done, but I'll stand corrected, by the Brothers Four (folk song)also done by Lonnie Donegan, first version I heard was by The Mojos(underated Merseybeat group) released in 64 and also released by another british band The Cherokees, both versions charted just former at number 30 latter at 33, a German band The Lords also recorded it.

I do not have Mojos version as a mp3 only on vinyl and not set up to convert yet, but if I can get it I'll post it otherwise I'll post Cherokees version though I prefer Mojos version.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hi Roy,

The song is new and not finished and would not be at the top of my list to record. I have already established my priorities in that regard. If you are interested to see how that sentence fits in here is a portion of the verse as it is currently written.

"Many years have passed and I have lost the will to soldier on, committed only to journey to the inner recesses of my mind. Discovering to my dismay that the passage of time is the enemy of recollection. Indeed, long lost friends appear before my eyes and the lamp of learning dims to a reflection"

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

good lyrics hard to put them in context without a melody but Dylanesque in my view.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

You are far too kind. But here is the actual source of inspiration.

I like to talk to older people in their eighties. They have much to offer.

Many however, have been in a sense, left behind. All their friends have died. They struggle in our world of technological advances. Younger people either ignore them or are repulsed by their fragile existence.

In some cases all they have left is their faith. Others who do not have any faith live life in bitter memory of their youth.

The people I have chatted with and describe here, are my source of inspiration for that song.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

fantastic, I get the distinct impression Brian you would enjoy a song recorded by The SEARCHERS (Paul's a big fan apparently)in 1989 called Somebody Told Me You Were Crying it was originally done by ALLIES a christain rockband thatI suspect you mau have heard of, I can send you offlist either version, but don't feel obligated it is just that I feel the subject matter may appeal to you.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hi Royb,

You are bang on, on both accounts. I have always liked the Searchers. I discovered that I like most Christian rock music about five years ago and listen to it from time to time. I'm not a fan of the rap influenced stuff though.

I would love to hear both versions. Particularly the Searchers.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hi Roy,

You are bang on, on both accounts. I have always liked the Searchers. I discovered that I like most Christian rock music about five years ago and listen to it from time to time. I'm not a fan of the rap influenced stuff though.

I would love to hear both versions particularly the Searchers.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

What happend there I was editing and all of a sudden it posted both versions?

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”