Troggs

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

This didn't come from anybody's sleeve. I'm thinking a bit further down spine.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Not to totally knock the Troggs, I liked some of their stuff, but yeah, you may be looking towards the posterior region for this remake. Roy, you really think it is an okay cut?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well it is a completely different song isn't it. In true Troggs style. This is another example of the first one out of the gate probably wins the race for the charts.

Beach boy fans will not take a shining to this one I am sure. On the other hand, the lead vocal of the Troggs version has the listener more "in tune" with the lyrics, such as they are. He emotes at a deeper level than Brain too.

You stirred the pot several times with this one Roy. The Troggs version is quite different but I am still rating the Beach Boys version ahead of it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Peter, don't totally blame it on Roy, I sort of stirred the 'hive' on this cover by the Troggs. Roy was just giving me the link to hear their version of 'Good Vibrations' when I brought it up.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Extra points for anyone who knows where the Troggs name originated!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dave: I read that it was a short form of Troglodytes, a savage race that dwells in caves. I assumed that it was a taken from school, a biology class perhaps. The Troggs seemed to emulate a bit of the Kinks rough sound which fits seeing as they were signed by Larry Page.

Stan: You picked a great topic for a thread. I have really enjoyed the discussion on this one. The Troggs' "Good Vibration" failed to chart as did "I Can't Get No Satisfaction." Hey Roy?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Right you are, Peter!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Dave is channeling Roy, who has taken the evening off to have a good nappy.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

GV was released by the Troggs in 74 and clearly I think it is foolish to try and compare it with the BB version, but they did do it totally differently and had they released it circa 66/67 when they were on the crest of a good chart run, probably would have been a hit.

Never a big fan of the Troggs but Wild Thing stands up as the sort of song drunks do at karaoke but to give them credit i prefer their original version of Love iS All Around to the Wet Wet Wet version
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

...booh... it's really awful... i didn't expect such a 'record' from one of my fav bands... Reg could have tried to sing, at least...
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rictified

Post by rictified »

My 2 cents FWIW. I have always loved The Troggs, they were named after dinosaurs and sounded like them. Reg is great and always has been and he does put Good Vibrations over much better than The Beach Boys did, I never even understood the lyrics until now. The trouble is the music sounds like some lounge act snoozed their way through it in the studio. If they had rocked it like they used to it would have been good.
I have sung several of their songs in bands over the years including "With a Girl like you" a few years ago in Lima, The guys in the band thought I was nuts when I first played it for them and they grew to love it after a while. Wild Thing is always great to play, it's classic. "I can't Control Myself" is also a great one. They are right next to The Stooges in my CD collection.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Except that there were FOUR Troggs, weren't there?
― Kurt Vonnegut
rictified

Post by rictified »

No comprendo Paul.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob: I think that it was in reference to the tres stooges.

rictified

Post by rictified »

Los Tres Chiflados to be correct Peter, you never really seen them until you see them with dubbed Spanish, haha!

http://move.to/treschiflados

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”