Dorian Mode

Putting music theory into practice
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Spot on, Jeff - I don't think anybody except true theory geeks set out to write a song in a weird mode.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

A band I used to be in, singer/songwriter/rhythm guitarist had less music knowledge than myself (yes, it is possible). Conversations went like this- Him: Can you play the middle part different?
Me: How so?
Him: I dunno, prettier?
Me: No.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

LOL! Image
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Another agreement with Jeff here...theory rules and can really help your understanding of what you're trying to play but your fingers will still need to meet the fretboard and hopefully they will connect to your musical thoughts (soul).
Reverb set to stun !!
ram

Post by ram »

Both ways are cool. I think that it is neat when someone can explain what another gets from his gut. The rare one is the person who can have both working for them to the max. There are not a whole lot of Leonardos around. It always amused me when our drummer used to go ‘how do you count that?” and I’d respond “I don’t, I just kind of feel it.”
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

FOr a good exercise in counting, listen to Willow Farm Apocalypse in 9/8 (co-starring the delicious talents of Gabble Ratchet)
by Genesis on the Foxtrot Album. FWIW, we always just called it Apocalypse in 9/8.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Good one, Charly. I've always wondered how they landed on the final result of a 4/4 keyboard solo over a 9/8 rhythm section riff.
vito

Post by vito »

Modes [even the Swanky ones] make my brain hurt. I've never been able to get them through my thick head.
"Where there is beer, there is hope."
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

The coolest mode is Fridgian.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

The hottest mode is Solarian.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

The dullest is Borian.
The silliest is Monty Pythorian.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

The sexiest is Monroian.
Listen to that sustain!
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

OK, here is my (extremely) SIMPLIFIED rundown on Modes. My teacher (and some of you) may shoot me for this but I hope it helps someone at least get started on the right track.

First, I think part of the problem is the (silly) use of all those Greek names. Forget ‘em (for now).

The next problem is that people get stuck right away in the formula for the modes. Forget it. Formulas are for math and science.

Just think back to when you were first learning how to play. And you learned what a “key” was and what the “tonic” was and what “1” was and that all your solos should be centered around the “one” and that every solo and every song resolves to the one (root, tonic, etc.). Remember that?

OK, let’s use the key of C for an example (as almost everyone does). What if I was noodling around by myself on just the notes in the key of C. Would you really know that I was in the key of C (Major)? Probably not. What if I was noodling around (soloing) with only the notes in the key of C but I was emphasizing the note D? I made D my “home.” But I’m still only using the notes in the key of C. And what if the chords being played under the solo were emphasizing D(min). Guess what? I’d be in the No. 2 (II) mode. (Dorian.) If I was emphasizing E, I’d be in the III. Etc.

The Grateful Dead did that all the time in their jams. Made for some great music.

That’s it. End of lesson one. Told you it was simple. OK, I said “simplified.”
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I like these king of lessons.

And the sexiest mode would be Livian (as in Tyler), although she is way younger than me. Not that there is anything wrong with that.........
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

kind not king. I am typing in the dark.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”