Vintage Reissue Higains anyone?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

No, 1969, 1970. Again, I'll bet they're 6.0/7.0 K.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A 1974 high gain that I tested came in at 5.0 K in the bridge position of my 480 which I found too thin, even in concert with the neck pickup.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes. Pickups on my now gone June '74 4001 read under 6.0 K. Their tone was clear but surprisingly punchy.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

P.S. I guess such variations happened rather by accident than design.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

With coil resistances that matched (or in some cases were lower than) the toaster pickups, what was hi-gain about them?
Ka is a wheel.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Their design.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Less feedback too.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

The ceramic magnet in the high gain makes it a bit less percussive and sensitive, but also more powerful. The extra wire on the bobbin also plays into that, and the high end is mostly kept due to the use of the ceramic magnet, which is non-metallic, so it doesn't contribute to any eddy currents and doesn't influence the inductance as directly. A lower inductance reading can indicate a brighter pickup all other things being equal. It also means a weaker pickup, but in the case of the high gain, the extra wire brings the inductance up around 3.2 to 3.5 henries, wheras the toaster is from 1.7 henries to 2.4 henries, depending on the era. I have not measured any 12k toasters so I have no idea how they spec out for inductance.

The toasters will feedback, thats for sure. It must be the non-wax potting and the arrangement of the coil in relation to the cover I'm guessing. If you don't point the guitar right at the amp though, its not a problem at all in my experience.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I will try to get those measurements done over the weekend. I apologize for letting this slide on the priority list.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I'm sure everyone else is patiently waiting to hear more, just like me!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I know, that's why I need to get it done! Image
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Ok guys, I just got the "reissue" Higains in this afternoon. Sergio did a fabulous job! The looks are stunning. Killer early 70s vibe. Best of all, they sound beautiful! Very jangley,chimey. Just a little different tone than toasters but not by much. I can't put my finger on it.

Here are some pics. Sergio, you do some damned fine work my brother. It was well worth the wait.

Cole

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/loverickbass/MyRIC381withSergioReissueHigainsWOW.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/loverickbass/MyRIC381withSergioReissueHigains-1.jpg
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Cole. Thanks for the complimentary post + pics. Once again, sorry I took longer than reasonably acceptable to send out the pickups. Blame it on the unavailability of magnets. All is well that ends well. Play away!Image
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

P.S. Cool-looking 381, by the way.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Thanks Sergio. I don't think I'm going to get much sleep tonight. I can't put the 381 down! These pickups are great. Image

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”