Why wasn't Steve Howe on 90125 & Big Generator?

The genius of Chris Squire
gearhed289
Intermediate Member

Post by gearhed289 »

I remember reading that Howe and Hackett wouldn't even ride in the same limo together! (might have been an interview with Jonathan Mover) Not a very happy family I guess.
'89 4003S, '92 4001CS, '93 4003S/8
www.nomadichorizonband.com
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

i read somewhere that when 90125 was being recorded that the opening power chords for "owner.." were tacked on as a good-natured nod to asia's lp opener "heat of the moment". steve was already flying high with asia and thought that "yes" were no longer an option. i never got to see asia live,but gtr did make it to memphis,and that was a really great show.
'74 4000 White
'98 4004Ci
'04 4004Cii MG Fretless conversion
'04 4004 Laredo FG 4002v57 Custom
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Squire is the common denominator. Can you even imagine YES without him?
"Knowledge is Power"
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

I'm not THAT big of a Yes fan, but there is no doubt that Squire has been the "common denominator" as Scott suggests. Keep in mind though that, up until Drama, it was Anderson for many people. I know quite a few that didn't buy and/or hated Drama (the ONLY Yes LP Anderson wasn't on), because he wasn't there .

As for a Yes without him... I personally like the Levin bass tracks on Union, more than I do the Squire tracks; and think he could easily replace Squire... as a BASS PLAYER. When you factor in Squire's vocal and composition contributions, I would have to agree that he would be hard to replace!
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Chris Squire is the anchor of Yes. What I really missed on ABWH, as much as I liked the CD, was Chris Squire's voice and vocal arrangements. Even more so than his bass parts, that to me was the real magic of Yes. The proof is the Drama record, where I think Chris' voice and style were very strong. His bass playing speaks for itself... There's no one else like him!
You can never own too many guitars!
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

Yes magazine once did an article on Chris Squire as "Keeper of the Flame.." for Yes. I had it at one time. Time age and to many moves..
Post 100!!! time for me to quit posting so much...
May you always work like you don't need money;
May you always love like you've never been hurt;
and may you always dance like there's nobody watching.
Jack Canfield
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

In Manchester when I was a kid we used to sing a rhyme about semolina custard and something about a dead cat...all really disgusting kids stuff. Its a Northern thing so it would have sprung from that originally.
Two things that made YES and still ARE YES...Jon Anderson and Chris Squire. The other musicians have come and gone and come back again but those two guys make YES.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Aye, Pete, I gotta sneak Steve Howe in there as well...
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Hey Jim,

Enjoying the CS section huh? COOL!

Ah, the ONLY time I met a YES member was when Steve Howe was with ASIA.

They played a small club called Chevy's Belair Cafe in West Islip/Bayshore Long Island. I was BELLY UP against the stage (and yes, it is SOME BELLY TOO) and Steve came over and I asked him if I could shake his hand. All he said was "EASY BIG FELLA, EASY".

I assumed some gorilla previously crushed his hand in a previous handshake so I was very, very gentle.

But I wait for the day when I can meet CS, THAT will be something...

My wife and I were SO close to the amps, my ears WHISTLED for THREE DAYS....ah, to be young...
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Tony, I sure am! I sneak off to England for one week and this forum pops up - Great, had to catch up on all of it when I returned.

We had a great time and lots of fun at Pete's place. If he turned that Ampeg up any louder, the CS would have been cracking the plaster. Man, can he nail those parts! I was humbled. I just wish we had more time over there, but there will always be time for another trip. Meanwhile, forum members need to pester Pete Greenwood until he brings his fine band over for a tour of the states. He told me they want to play Cleveland, just to be able to use the old Spinal Tap line. Funny stuff.

My CS project is in progress, due to be finished around the end of September. We may be in Florida next February, then I can track down another forumite with a CS and raise a little hell there, as well! Image
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Sounds like you had a ball Jim,

It amazes me just how many friendships have spun off because of this forum.

MORE PICTURES MAN, MORE PICTURES!

Janey & I would LOVE to have you and Donna come for a visit. February is great with the exception of 2/20....that is my anniversary and since I blew the 25th, I PROMISED something special for our 26th on the weekend of the 20th.

Hey, I hope by then my 4004Cii Blueburst and my 4003FL AFG will have been delivered!
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

From the Internet Beatles Album site:

"This excerpt is from Pete Shotton's excellent book 'The Beatles, Lennon And Me' (originally published as "John Lennon In My Life", 1983, Stein and Day Publishers... not to be confused with "In My Life - John Lennon Remembered" by Kevin Howlett and Mark Lewisohn).

(If you're not familiar, Pete Shotton was Lennon's closest boyhood pal, an original member of the Quarrymen (until John broke the washboard over Pete's head!), and a close friend and confidant of John's to the very end.)

From page 217:

"One afternoon, while taking "lucky dips" into the day's sack of fan mail, John, much to both our amusement, chanced to pull out a letter from a student at Quarry Bank. Following the usual expressions of adoration, this lad revealed that his literature master was playing Beatles songs in class; after the boys all took their turns analyzing the lyrics, the teacher would weigh in with his own interpretation of what the Beatles were really talking about. (This, of course, was the same institution of learning whose headmaster had summed up young Lennon's prospects with the words: "This boy is bound to fail.")

"John and I howled in laughter over the absurdity of it all. "Pete," he said, "what's that 'Dead Dog's Eye' song we used to sing when we were at Quarry Bank?" I thought for a moment and it all came back to me:

Yellow matter custard, green slop pie,
All mixed together with a dead dog's eye,
Slap it on a butty, ten foot thick,
Then wash it all down with a cup of cold sick.

"That's it!" said John. "Fantastic!" He found a pen commenved scribbling: "Yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog's eye...." Such was the genisis of "I Am the Walrus" (The Walrus itself was to materialize alter, almost literally stepping out of a page in Lewis Carroll's 'Through the Looking Glass')

Inspired by the picture of that Quarry Bank literature master pontificating about the symbolism of Lennon-McCartney, John threw in the most ludicrous images his imagination could conjure. He thought of "semolina" (an insipid pudding we'd been forced to eat as kids) and "pilchard" (a sardine we often fed to our cats). Semolina pilchard climbing up the Eiffel Tower....," John intoned, writing it down with considerable relish.

He turned to me, smiling. "let the f****** work THAT one out, Pete."
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Ha, and I always thought that "Semolina Pilchard" was a woman's name. I could see her climbing up the Eiffel Tower....
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Its all coming back to me now!

And by the way it was green SNOT pie!

And whats wrong with Semolina?
The posh kids at school wouldnt eat it so that left loads for us normal folks with a more discerning taste in puddings.
Pilchards on toast was a popular number in the days when we didnt have two ha'pennies to rub together. These days even the health police have finally come to realise that oily fish are good for you.I well remember watching Mystery Tour on Boxing Day 1967 and my dad tutting at the lyrics to "I am The walrus" my brother was recording it on his Grundig tape recorder telling us all to shut up.
The papers panned the film the next day but for me as an eleven year old it was the perfect antidote to all the boring old farts the TV companies (all two of them) put on at Christmas.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Yep, that's right Pete, it was green snot pie (I'm also a northern lad, from Fleetwood near Blackpool). I have to say I absolutely bl**dy hated semolina though. And tapioca. And any of the "a"s we were fed for pudding at school. I wouldn't eat 'em, they made me sick. Maybe I was a posh kid, lol!

Tony, when I met Steve Howe on the last tour he wouldn't shake anybody's hand. I believe he's very worried about his hands being damaged in some way; maybe they're a bit fragile these days (no pun intended Image).
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”