Arlington (Texas) Vintage Show

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigh

Re: Arlington (Texas) Vintage Show

Post by 8mileshigh »

:lol:
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Attention Pete & Graham:
Just wanted to remind you that I'm probably not going to be available to transport the replacements for any Air Guitars acquistions. :lol:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Nice one Richard :lol:
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Yeah Graham, pick up the right case this time! :cry:
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Ill be there. Sunday only.
emjayw

Post by emjayw »

Graham and peter, it was a pleasure to meet you at the show on Saturday. I hope the entire trip was a success. Lots of neat older Ricks to gawk at and a few new AFG's that really caught my eye. Now, if I can just talk RandyZ out of one of his 1997's...... Mike Williams (emjayw)
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Mike: I'd taunt you with photos of the 1997 FG in question, if only I could figure out how to post pictures in this new Forum format. It was good to see you again.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

It was a typical Arlington Vintage Show. Shortly after arriving, I spotted Mike Williams (local Rick-12 virtuoso). Lots of older Ricks were on hand. I finally got to see a Lightshow in operation and it was just like Christmas morning. Too bad they wanted $20K, so I was a bit short in the cash department. Also saw what I think was a '70 360 JG with early Hi-Gains, bound headstock and checkerboard binding.

It took a lot of looking before Mike and I spotted Graham and Pete (our UK Forum friends), dining on guitar show cuisine. I would have offered to take them out for something better, but my car must have been parked a mile away (I've never had to park in the remote lots before). After five hours of standing on concrete, my feet were getting sore.

There were other Brits in attendence, and of course they all know each other (small island and all). Pete made it very clear that both Londoners and Liverpudlians couldn't be trusted and were all a bit on the shifty side. I also overhead him asking someone to please slow down, as they were addressing a Yorkshire lad. A young lady offered Pete $20 for his "Too Old To Die Young" T-shirt, but he said she'd have to take him too as they were a set. And Graham just shuffled around looking miserable as usual (Ha Ha Ha).

I almost bought a new 330 JG with a very nice looking small headstock, but decided that $1200 wasn't a qualified steal. There was a rough feel to the finish on one edge of the body, so I decided to pass. It's a nice feeling to go home with your guitar money still in your pocket.

I hope everyone had a good time. I'm sorry I couldn't come back on Sunday to Mike G. this year. One day at the show is usually enough for me. All that gear overload makes me appreciate what I've already got in my own collection.

Cheers!
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

... dining on guitar show cuisine ...
Would I be correct in presuming it was a liquid diet? :lol:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Richard: No, it wasn't nearly that healthy or good for you. It looked like they were having stuffed baked potatoes or more accurately a dog's breakfast. What is it with these Brits? Hoping to stave off the next potato famine? No Denny's within walking distance? I think they'd have been better off with another pint of barley brew!
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Just got back home after a great week. I felt overall it was a good show. 5 rooms this year and some great Rics to be seen and it was nice to see Randy & Mike G again and also meet Mike Williams for the first time. As usual the Rics seemed to be over priced - but that's only to be expected. Some highlight pictures (for me anyway). A 375F which I was trying to buy before the show, but beaten to by Willies Guitars; A very nice 360/12 with bound headstock & slanted frets; Patrick Gafney's 331, Capri and 360 OS; And Pete trying on a new shirt :lol:
375F.jpg
36012.jpg
patrick.jpg
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

pete.jpg
leftyguitars
Advanced Member

Post by leftyguitars »

Hmmmn, speaking of shirts Graham what is that one that you're wearing? :D

Oh, you also didn't mention what you bought at the show. :D :D

By the way, you did a good job of pasting my head onto that dodgy photo! :D :D :D

Nice to see Sean, Randy and Mike G. again and good to meet Mike W.. :D :D :D :D
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Graham and Pete: You guys are good sports. I've re-read some of my comments in this thread, and some of them sound downright mean (I suppose some readers might get the wrong impression). Just like our conversation with your Liverpudlian buddy, it's all in jest (sorta).

I'm glad you had a good time in Texas, and I hope we'll see you back here again. Perhaps next time I'll get the opportunity to show you some of the local attractions. My work schedule this time was tight (teaching a seminar on Thursday and Friday with possible travel on Monday).
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I sorry I missed seeing Peter & Graham. :cry:

I passed through Arlington on my way to my client's office around 12:30. If I had gotten a little earlier :oops:, I would have bought them lunch. Oh well, there is always the next time.

Peter, did you find and/or buy any leftys?
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”