When You Walk In The Room

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
JeffZ

Re: When You Walk In The Room

Post by JeffZ »

Every great band has an album track or a flip side that would have made a nice single, and in The Searchers case I think it's "Each Time". It might very well bucked up their career at a point where they were beginning to fade chart wise.
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Although Each Time is not the topic of this thread, I love it too! It's Chris leading the two lines starting at 1:43, isn't it?
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Agnetha's version is from a cd where she paid hommage to female songwriters. Although I suspect she must have heard The Searchers, she only mentions de Shannon in her written introduction to the song. (If I remember correctly).
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

einar wrote:Although Each Time is not the topic of this thread, I love it too! It's Chris leading the two lines starting at 1:43, isn't it?
Einar, As much as I would ♥♥♥LOVE♥♥♥ to say it is Chris doing those lines; I really think it is Mikey P. doing that whole 'bridge.' But I defer to Roy -- the ultimate expert. Roy, what say you? Chris is doing a wonderful job on his high harmony throughout!! He is unmistakable there!!!

The entire song is a masterpiece of the Searchers sound and should definitely been a side A. It is the #1 on my Top 50 Searchers Songs!

In my part of the US, we got precious little airplay of the Searchers after "Love Potion". The last one I can recall is "What Have They Done to the Rain" -- I had to tune into CKLW in Canada in the wee hours to hear them. They got almost no print coverage in the teen mags, "16" and "Tiger Beat" -- I spent all my babysit money on those mags. When I say "almost no coverage" -- I mean I got one photo of all of them with their individual names to carry in my wallet.

Making up for lost time!!!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Wish that I felt just like I did before
There was a time I could walk out the door

— Mike P.
But I can't go now though I know it's wrong
'cause good or bad it's with you I belong

— Chris C.
That's what i hear, but i may be wrong.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

sowhat wrote:Wish that I felt just like I did before
There was a time I could walk out the door

— Mike P.
But I can't go now though I know it's wrong
'cause good or bad it's with you I belong

— Chris C.
That's what i hear, but i may be wrong.
♥♥♥Chris is singing that part!♥♥♥ That is awesome!!! Thank you!!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

Sheena's hearing what I'm hearing! :D Noone can stop us now! On their last LP from their classic area, The Searchers ultimated their varied vocal abilities, all four of them taking singing duties (even the unobvious John/Frank duet). (And all this AFTER their first real singing attraction Tony Jackson had left!). Well, I feel you can feel/hear Chris' strain on this LP. Some of his input is uninspired. But Each Time is an obvious exception. Classic!
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

einar wrote:Sheena's hearing what I'm hearing! :D Noone can stop us now! On their last LP from their classic area, The Searchers ultimated their varied vocal abilities, all four of them taking singing duties (even the unobvious John/Frank duet). (And all this AFTER their first real singing attraction Tony Jackson had left!). Well, I feel you can feel/hear Chris' strain on this LP. Some of his input is uninspired. But Each Time is an obvious exception. Classic!
Wow, just when I thought you were a Chris Curtis fan, Einar! You had me fooled :o For me, everthing CC did is inspiring. But then, I'm his biggest fan! :D
einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

You may count me in on The World's biggest Chris Curtis fans Top 30!

There's another YouTube clip I've seen, with Chris introducing one of the songs from the TMFWIW LP in a very uninspired/negative way. It's obvious the other boys are not comfortable hearing it. So I think it's fair to say it is showing that CC had started to lose his Searchers spirit at this stage?
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

einar wrote:Sheena's hearing what I'm hearing! :D Noone can stop us now! On their last LP from their classic area, The Searchers ultimated their varied vocal abilities, all four of them taking singing duties (even the unobvious John/Frank duet). (And all this AFTER their first real singing attraction Tony Jackson had left!). Well, I feel you can feel/hear Chris' strain on this LP. Some of his input is uninspired. But Each Time is an obvious exception. Classic!
I don't see how you can say that Tony Jackson was their first REAL singing attraction -- as if Mike and Chris brought nothing to the band??! Most of Chris input was most inspired. Mike Pender's voice is the voice you hear on Needles & Pins, along with Chris on high harmony.

It must be me. I am totally confused by you, Einar. I must admit. :roll:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

chriscurtisfan wrote:I don't see how you can say that Tony Jackson was their first REAL singing attraction -- as if Mike and Chris brought nothing to the band??! Most of Chris input was most inspired. Mike Pender's voice is the voice you hear on Needles & Pins, along with Chris on high harmony.
It must be me. I am totally confused by you, Einar. I must admit. :roll:
Everybody brought something to the band (both as vocalists and instrumentalists). Even John McNally who's often disregarded as a singer. But Tony Jackson was the lead singer on the Searchers' first hits, and at the very start the Searchers' sound was strongly associated with his voice. Later on, however, the situation has changed (since Needles & Pins, methinks).
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Last time I saw them John did a damn good version of "7 Nights To Rock", they finished off their set with it. He is indeed an underrated singer (and guitarist, as was Mike).
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Been having some problems since getting new computer and still receiving old e-mials, so if anyone sent me anything and I didn't reply may be because I have not had it yet.

On this debate I concur with Sheena
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

royclough wrote:Been having some problems since getting new computer and still receiving old e-mials, so if anyone sent me anything and I didn't reply may be because I have not had it yet.

On this debate I concur with Sheena
OMG, this is tooo Heavenly!!! I've been listening to the song with ear buds jammed into my head all week, day and night, and I can see where folks thinks it is Chris on 2nd part of bridge, it just seemed to good to be true. Thank you, thank you everybody!!!! I love that it is "MY" Chris and, particularly since it's my #1 Searchers song. ****Sigh**** :D
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

I've been playing "Each Time" till my ears bleed, and I don't know how I could have missed Chris doing the last half of that bridge. :oops:

I think the one word that gives away that is is certainly Chris is the way he sings "belong" -- I guess it just didn't occur to me they would switch lead vocalist at that point in a song. Thank you to all who convinced me -- as it's my favorite Searchers song, and to hear my hero, ♥♥♥Chris♥♥♥ sing a key part -- is really sweeeet!

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”