Which guitar cable???

Those who flock to The Byrds
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Re: Which guitar cable???

Post by weemac »

The best one I've had was from Planet Waves... A bit like this one:
http://store.daddario.com/category/3946 ... on_Springs
Not too expensive and it is still running after all these years..

emac.
Ilikewater

Post by Ilikewater »

I did some side by sides with some buddies after I purchased a couple 10 and 20$ specials from GC, george L 15 fters, and a Bullet Coily. The live wires and the no namers alike in a studio setting definitely effect volume and the upper clarity. To my friends ears, without them knowing which cable they were listening to, they here a significant difference in clarity. We played straight from a tele into an orange cab/head combo. It was undeniable.

I imagine unless you buy a cable kit from Lava or George L you will get tone loss after your sound snakes its way through your pedal board.

The george l's do seem to have a lot higher highs than the coily cable, but both sounded more clear and loud than the live wires. I've heard george l's highs referred to as harsh compared to other expensive cables.

In most venues, I think cables really don't matter, but in a studio setting good cables are money well spent. IMO
To be joyous is to be a mad man in a world filled with sad ghosts. - H. Miller
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

I have this.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... tId=330500

They make some bold claims and both cable ends are different (one side meant for guitar, other for amp).

Can anyone validate the reasoning behind this?

I haven't made any intense comparisons with other cables, but they've served me well and seem durable for the year of frequent usage I've given them.
Rickenbacker player since 1978
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

johnnysain wrote:They make some bold claims and both cable ends are different (one side meant for guitar, other for amp).

Can anyone validate the reasoning behind this?
The amplifier end is probably where the shield is joined...

emac.
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

George L cables are great, but they sometimes go "microphonic" and can make a noise similar to a garbage truck if you pick them up and drop them on the floor. I us them when I play steel guitar since I just sit there and my instrument isn't moving around. Again, they sound great.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”