TOP DOWN WEEKEND!

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

teb
Advanced Member

Re: TOP DOWN WEEKEND!

Post by teb »

Hunting season is over, so maybe we can pick up some blaze orange suits to wear in the bird for visibility. We have big piles at intersections and I almost nailed a white VW Bug the other day as I was pulling onto a cross-street. It looked just like a pile of snow, only shorter and moving.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ya' got to watch out for those moving snow piles! :shock:
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

'Twas a beautiful weekend in California... but anywhere, snow or sun, is great cruisin' with the top down (I miss my convertables)!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

very similar and unusual weather up the coast in brookings,too,mostly low 60's but sunny,very nice! i believe last jan and feb it didn't stop raining at all. i miss the '91 miata i sold in memphis,but my partner has an older mercedes slk,so we get to motor it on the weekends....
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Nice ride Paul!
I got to enjoy the two-hour drive from my house to a benefit for Surf Guitar Legend Eddie Bertrand on Saturday with the top down on my MR-2 Spyder. I just have the stock sound system, but listened to the "Cowabunga Surf" 4-CD box set with the volume cranked. I sure like your set up!
The drive home that night without traffic was 1 hour, 15 min.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Clint wrote:Believe me! I know it's wrong. Very, very wrong. But a little piece of me hopes a bird poops on your head.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seing I had to shovel the end of the driveway before I could enter the street today, I can understand that. :lol: :lol:
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Does Mazda still offer the Sound Bar option Paul?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Jerry, they never offered it, per se. I built the original for the San Diego Auto Show car back in '99. It was robotic--when the 1300W, 11-speaker stereo was turned on, the head unit would slide out of the dash and rotate into position, and simultaneously the Sound Bar's top half would raise 4", uncovering a super-tweeter on each side. The red arrow in the photo below indicates the line where the bar would split. Bottom half stayed as is and top half moved upward.

I re-tooled the Sound Bar without the robotic feature and offered it as an aftermarket option, along with my own line of accessories. The "Miata Mafia"* shut me down, however, and I went out of biz in about 6 months, after only selling a handful.

Here's a close-up shot of the first item, installed on my '99 Miata when it was new:

*Miata Mafia=There is (or at least, was) a group of Miata accessory manufacturers--specifically roll bar makers--who funded the biggest Miata enthusiasts' Forum (which is a commercial enterprise), and they actively worked to diss my products online. One character even wrote a negative review before I had finished tooling it, as though he'd bought one...The power of the 'Net, even back then...The demographic of Miata owners is cheap, fussy old men and women who can't afford a Porsche, so I lost.

This is my gesture to all the cattle who put chrome "show bars" in their Miatae.

Back to your regularly scheduled Reflections.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

hey! i resemble that remark! :lol: (the miata owners demographic....)
but i am driving a 2006 scion xb (yes-the toaster...) now,so my demographic has probably gotten much weirder.... 8) :roll: :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: Simply gorgeous. Those "to scale" models are amazing. Do you have the original box? :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Awesomeness.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

admin wrote:Paul: Simply gorgeous. Those "to scale" models are amazing. Do you have the original box? :lol:

Oops! BUSTED!!! :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

! wanna go for a ride in Paul's car! :)
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I want those speakers blaring in my ringing ears!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It was a ice week, but temps dropped daily and humidity went up. Thursday AM I put the top back up. :|

Today as I look out, it's about 40F and THICK fog covers the landscape. We're going for a Valentine's Day hike in Muir Woods, 4 mi from our house. Tomorrow the winter rains return... :(

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”