The history and music of the Fab Four
RobRick

Re: New Hofner 500/5 Stu Sutcliffe "President Bass"

Post by RobRick »

$1000 plus shipping. Great bass!
crimson_dynamo

Post by crimson_dynamo »

Marketing aside, I think it's so nice that Hofner is remembering Stu this way. Also, it gives me hope that I'll soon be able to buy a Hofner case for my 1964 Hofner Senator (with Klaus Voorman's autograph on the pick guard, thank you very much). My Guild Starfire wants it's case back.
Kick out the style, bring back the Jam.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

crimson_dynamo wrote:Marketing aside, I think it's so nice that Hofner is remembering Stu this way. Also, it gives me hope that I'll soon be able to buy a Hofner case for my 1964 Hofner Senator (with Klaus Voorman's autograph on the pick guard, thank you very much). My Guild Starfire wants it's case back.
PIX! WE WANT PIX!
crimson_dynamo

Post by crimson_dynamo »

Just go to www.corinashley.com and you can see video of it. You might recognize the recording studio, too.
Fretjob

Post by Fretjob »

crimson_dynamo wrote:Just go to http://www.corinashley.com and you can see video of it. You might recognize the recording studio, too.
He's excellent. Love his voice.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

crimson_dynamo wrote:Just go to http://www.corinashley.com and you can see video of it. You might recognize the recording studio, too.
Man, that was brilliant! I'd buy that!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
crimson_dynamo

Post by crimson_dynamo »

Thanks, lads! It's on iTunes with a bunch of other similar stuff. Matter of fact, the b-side is the one where you can really hear the bass sound:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-ab ... d359548454

Next album features lots of 4001 fuzz parts.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

crimson_dynamo wrote:Thanks, lads! It's on iTunes with a bunch of other similar stuff. Matter of fact, the b-side is the one where you can really hear the bass sound:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-ab ... d359548454

Next album features lots of 4001 fuzz parts.
Wow Corin, This is really good! I like it!
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

I played one of these new China made Hofner President basses today. Very cool, but, the body is just too thick, AND, very strange, the volume was very very low, as in, something was very very wrong. I know how Hofner controls work. When I switched BASS ON a deep rich tone was produced. When I switched TREBLE ON the expected tone was produced. With both BASS ON and TREBLE ON the bass had no output, as expected. But, with all switches OFF only a very faint output was produced. Basically it was useless. There HAS to be a weird wiring problem. I can't see how both pickups ON can cancel each other out. The volume drop was DRASTIC! I hope they aren't all like this! Yikes!

BTW, I also tried one of the new Hofner CT Verythin bass and it played and sounded great.

Both basses were beautiful to the eyes.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

Glad to hear about the new Verythin Bass. It's on my radar for Christmas this year.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

lennon211 wrote:Glad to hear about the new Verythin Bass. It's on my radar for Christmas this year.
Yeah, it felt great to play and hold. Great neck. Very light weight. Good tone. It had rounds on it, of course. No crazy Hofner controls. Just 2 volume and 2 tone pots, and no pickup selector. Needs a case, however.
RobRick

Post by RobRick »

DavyR wrote:I played one of these new China made Hofner President basses today. Very cool, but, the body is just too thick, AND, very strange, the volume was very very low, as in, something was very very wrong. I know how Hofner controls work. When I switched BASS ON a deep rich tone was produced. When I switched TREBLE ON the expected tone was produced. With both BASS ON and TREBLE ON the bass had no output, as expected. But, with all switches OFF only a very faint output was produced. Basically it was useless. There HAS to be a weird wiring problem. I can't see how both pickups ON can cancel each other out. The volume drop was DRASTIC! I hope they aren't all like this! Yikes!

BTW, I also tried one of the new Hofner CT Verythin bass and it played and sounded great.

Both basses were beautiful to the eyes.
I would not mind one of these just to have one, but the thickness of the body is a real issue for me. When I thin the herd and sell some gear, I may get one to jam around the house. But to gig, it is not practical. My Hofner Icon basses are perfect already for that.
DavyR

Post by DavyR »

RobRick wrote:I would not mind one of these just to have one, but the thickness of the body is a real issue for me. When I thin the herd and sell some gear, I may get one to jam around the house. But to gig, it is not practical. My Hofner Icon basses are perfect already for that.
Why not just sell all that Chinese, Korean and Mexican junk and buy one REAL genuine Made in Germany Hofner, 'mit der umlaut', bass? :lol: (Gerade scherzend)
RobRick

Post by RobRick »

DavyR wrote:
RobRick wrote:I would not mind one of these just to have one, but the thickness of the body is a real issue for me. When I thin the herd and sell some gear, I may get one to jam around the house. But to gig, it is not practical. My Hofner Icon basses are perfect already for that.
Why not just sell all that Chinese, Korean and Mexican junk and buy one REAL genuine Made in Germany Hofner, 'mit der umlaut', bass? :lol: (Gerade scherzend)
Because no one would notice. Or care. Including me.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I wonder if Mexicans are like "Yeah, My strat was made in my home country, Its the best." I've always wondered that...

Return to “Beatles' Forum”