G Moderne

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

octagon

Re: G Moderne

Post by octagon »

Grey wrote:
octagon wrote:Ok,you know more about it then me.I didn't know they can do that. Ifound this guitar used at local store and I remember reading the the Premier Guitar article.
You post over at the MyLesPaul forum, you've never been to the Luthiers Corner? Gibson "replicas" with open-book headstocks and Gibson logos all day long. Plenty of them for sale in the member classifieds there, too.
No,I never have.I've heard of Max and Kris Derrig but that is about it. I guess Glenn Miller is sort of like those guys in relation to the Moderne and he contributed to the Premier Guitar article and the books about the Moderne such as:

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Here's a pic of a Gibson and an Epi with the original Moderne headstock.
Modernes.jpg
"The best things in life aren't things."
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thanks for the photo. I've read that Gibson only made 183 Modernes in the 80's. I'm not sure when they made the Epiphone version.
Here is a photo of an early 1982 Moderne

This is a photo of a "Moderne" from Tom Wheeler's 1974 book about Gibson Guitars.

This is a photo of one of Billy Gibbons guitars from a 1979 book about ZZ Top.

One of those photos must have inspired this Ibanez made in the late 70s

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

US Patent 181,866 for the Moderne is dated Jan 7, 1958 though they were never sold until 1982. Who knows how many were produced back in the day. I had seen the Epi version about ten years ago but I couldn't tell you when they were produced.
"The best things in life aren't things."
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

A friend has a dead-mint, under-the-bed condition '82 Moderne, with original case, tags, and I believe even shipping carton. I have had the privilege of playing it a few times and, no lie, it's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Those Tim Shaw pickups are the real f'ing deal. 8)
octagon

Post by octagon »

sloop_john_b wrote:A friend has a dead-mint, under-the-bed condition '82 Moderne, with original case, tags, and I believe even shipping carton. I have had the privilege of playing it a few times and, no lie, it's one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played. Those Tim Shaw pickups are the real f'ing deal. 8)
I love those pickups! My '81 Les Paul Custom has Tim Shaw pickups.

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

interesting to note that mike wrona and his father, anthony, used to be customers of mine when they lived my area. their house was an amazing wood crafting facility. after mike's dad passed away, the house was sold and mike moved to lewiston where i had my 1845 chanot guitar shaped violin with inverted headstock restored by him. nice job mike...i really appreciated it !

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”