Bass Cabinets

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

woodyng

Re: Bass Cabinets

Post by woodyng »

[quote="T28"]

The Lil"G is my current favorite because it is small and compact, weighs about #28 and has 2-12" Faital Pro Neos running at 4 ohms.

:shock: wow,2 12" drivers,and a horn and its only 28 pounds? That's pretty amazing,and i am used to low weight cabs!
I am gonna have to check into them.
Edit:glasstone website says 39 pounds,which is still more than reasonable.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I think those are the cabs that save additional weight by orienting the drivers perpendicular to each other, thus reducing overall cabinet size.

I think I have brought up my fEARful 15/6 by Don Oatman on this forum before. It's a great cab to be sure... fairly transparent and brings out all the great low end clarity in even the muddiest basses. It almost converted me to playing Höfners considering how good my dad's faker sounds through it. Through most cabs the thing sounds like mush, but the fEARful makes it thump like an upright. As for weight, I think it's just under 50 lbs.
T28

Post by T28 »

Woody, I think that weight is old info based on the original design.
I am not sure what was changed but mine is definitely around 30 pounds.

The 2nd 12" faces down so is mounted at a 90 degree angle.

Almost every gig I use it at I have someone comment on the huge sound coming out of such a small cab.

I love my fEARful cabs also but they seem huge compared to the LiL'G.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

T28 wrote:I interchangeably use either a GLASSTONE LIL'G or my fEARful 12/6/1 stack.

The Lil"G is my current favorite because it is small and compact, weighs about #28 and has 2-12" Faital Pro Neos running at 4 ohms.
It also has an OEM horn/tweeter with a adjustable 5K crossover which can really tweak the highs if you want to slap or have a brighter sound.

Either give me a huge sound in relatively small lightweight cabs.

Big +1 on the Glasstone!! I'm a huge fan of the Reverend's product! This may be the only cab I'll ever need! Coupled with my Orange TB500 or my AD200b, if I want, this cab puts out huge amounts of tone in a lightweight package.
mini rig of doom.jpg
Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

For rehearsals and smaller gigs I use an Eden 210XLT.

For larger spaces I add a Carvin BRX10.4 with neodymium drivers. It's large but lightweight, and sounds a lot like the Eden.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

[quote="T28"]Woody, I think that weight is old info based on the original design.
I am not sure what was changed but mine is definitely around 30 pounds.

Ah,ok, well,either way (weight),it sounds really intriguing. I emailed them for a price and to see if they would make an 8 ohm tweeterless version,and they said Yes to both requests.
T28

Post by T28 »

The Rev Glass is very easy to work with and his concern for his customers happiness is 2nd to none.

Personally, I would get the tweeter. It has a rotary dial/LPad that you can adjust or turn off...and you never know when it might come in handy. I run mine at the middle setting and it gives my flats just the touch of zing to make my bass sing.

The Lil'G also comes with a built on dolly option that I highly recommend.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T28 wrote:...It has a rotary dial/LPad that you can adjust or turn off....
Generally, you do not want to turn the L-Pad all the way down for very long as then it must take the brunt of the power vs. having some of the power go through the tweeter.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

When I think about how ridiculous it has been to be able to cover so many gigs... in so many different types of venues (with and without PA support), with just my Mesa Walkabout Scout and the matching Radiator extension cab... I smile! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Rick & Walkabout rig @ Whiskey Still flash foto edited.jpg
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Eden 4x10 with a 2x10 on top. H E A V Y but sounds amazing. 8)
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

At band practice, I use a Rickenbacker RB30 if we practice at the singer's house, or a Rickenbacker Transonic cab with 2 15's and an Ampeg V4 head if we practice at my house.

For gigs, I use an Avatar TB153 cabinet with either the Ampeg head or a Markbass LM Tube 500 amp, depending on how much weight I feel like hauling around.
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Ampeg Micro VR head, 2 2-10 cabinets(usually only need one cab) is light and ,reasonably costed as I got each piece on "open box" sales.
Anywhere that it might'nt have been loud eough, there was the ubiquitous sound man armed with his cable,just aching to plug me in. :P
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

I use 2 different Markbass 12 cabs- the larger is the Traveler121 (34lbs), the smaller the NY121 (29lbs). I use the NY121 at practice or small gigs, the Traveler at most gigs, and both for outdoor/larger rooms.
Attachments
Markbass setup 2012.JPG
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:
T28 wrote:...It has a rotary dial/LPad that you can adjust or turn off....
Generally, you do not want to turn the L-Pad all the way down for very long as then it must take the brunt of the power vs. having some of the power go through the tweeter.
Don't tell anyone,bacause it will void my warranty,but i bypassed the tweeter in my Markbass cmd121p combo soon after i got it,and have not lacked for any "zing" whatsoever...i do not like bass tweeters,just call me "old school".... 8)

Love the Mesa Scout cab,too!
T28

Post by T28 »

bigbajo60 wrote:When I think about how ridiculous it has been to be able to cover so many gigs... in so many different types of venues (with and without PA support), with just my Mesa Walkabout Scout and the matching Radiator extension cab... I smile! :mrgreen:

I have the Scout 12 with matching cab also in burgandy. I keep it at our rehearsal facility where it does an outstanding job.....but for live gigs I still prefer the Lil'G/Puma 900 rig. With the Puma under 3# and the Lil"G around 30 it is lighweight, compact and powerful. The Mesa Scouts are heavy in comparison but they look awesome and pump out the sound!

It is great to have choices that all sound amazing. Looking back to the monster rigs I hauled around 30 years ago I still shake my head at the improvements in sound and size.

Return to “The Low End”