Vintage "S" Ricks

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mrtidy

Post by mrtidy »

It's still worth more than I could justify. Of course the owner, still has an authentic 60's, one of a kind to play every day!
Never pet a burning dog
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Re: Vintage "S" Ricks

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Here are a few questions that maybe someone can answer:

1) When did Pete actually get his? I can't find any photos before early 1965 where Pete has his 360S-12. It kinda of makes sense that RM may have gotten it as a sample in 1964 and then eventually sold it to Pete.

2) Anybody know what the serial number was on Pete's guitar?

3) Does anyone have really hi-def pick of Pete with this guitar that shows a lot of details? I'd love to see it!

The defining characteristic to me seems to be the square heeled neck, and proto 12 string headstock shape/route.

Cheers.
325-at-2pm
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re:

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

admin wrote:Glen wrote
"As with those few other very early 12's, the TRC has that odd hand-carved shape. The very first Ric 12's had parallel routes for the extra 6 strings (Arden, Campbell, Harrison, Lennon, Townsend, and maybe a few others), requiring an odd shaped TRC. It's one of the best ways to pick them."
You can add Gerry Marsden to the list.
Yup! :D :D
Gerry M's Ricky 1974.jpg
Hey Collin has one just like the one Pete has... :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
collin

Post by collin »

325-at-2pm wrote:Here are a few questions that maybe someone can answer:

1) When did Pete actually get his? I can't find any photos before early 1965 where Pete has his 360S-12. It kinda of makes sense that RM may have gotten it as a sample in 1964 and then eventually sold it to Pete.

2) Anybody know what the serial number was on Pete's guitar?

3) Does anyone have really hi-def pick of Pete with this guitar that shows a lot of details? I'd love to see it!
1.) Sept, 1964. He said that he picked the guitar up to use as backup when his first Rick (RM1998) was damaged and then smashed at a gig at the Railway in Sept. He didn't have the guitar a month earlier in their live footage shot at a Railway gig in August. He used that 360S/12 to record "I Can't Explain" in November '64.

2.) Nope....and sure wish we did, along with all his other Rics!

3.) This is the clearest color photo that exists of the guitar: http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/images/eq ... npro_1.jpg
Here is another photo from the same sequence that shows the backside/input jack: http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l390 ... 852ab3.jpg . I tried contacting the photographer, but couldn't get through to him..hoping there would be more photos!

I'm sure you've found this great site too: http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/rick.html

There were other similar guitars, including one owned by David Marks, with ties to the Beach Boys. One of these guitars, possibly even Pete's is pictured in Richard Smith's Rickenbacker book (p.191).

ps.....this is a really ancient thread.
Last edited by collin on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
collin

Re: Re:

Post by collin »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote: Hey Collin has one just like the one Pete has... :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

That is correct.....but of course, there's more to the story on mine. :mrgreen:
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Re: Re:

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
admin wrote:Glen wrote
"As with those few other very early 12's, the TRC has that odd hand-carved shape. The very first Ric 12's had parallel routes for the extra 6 strings (Arden, Campbell, Harrison, Lennon, Townsend, and maybe a few others), requiring an odd shaped TRC. It's one of the best ways to pick them."
You can add Gerry Marsden to the list.
Yup! :D :D
Gerry M's Ricky 1974.jpg
Hey Collin has one just like the one Pete has... :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
While his guitar does have a shaped TRC, doesn't Collin's have a rounded heal and the typical 1960's production headstock shape and headstock routing? Pete's headstock is like Arden, Campbell, Harrison, Lennon, and De'Lacy. :wink:
collin

Post by collin »

Yes, mine was made in Fall 1964, and has the 325/12 shaped "stub" TRC, round neck heel etc. It originally had a trapeze tailpiece and the inlays aren't original.
collin

Post by collin »

Here is the David Marks guitar (yes, the dude looks really stoned...)
DavidMarks.jpg
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

collin wrote:Yes, mine was made in Fall 1964, and has the 325/12 shaped "stub" TRC, round neck heel etc. It originally had a trapeze tailpiece and the inlays aren't original.
Thanks very much for the links. I've been out of circulation for a while.

Very interesting info on your guitar. Is it a 1993 with added inlays, or is it an original stereo? 8)
collin

Post by collin »

325-at-2pm wrote:
collin wrote:Yes, mine was made in Fall 1964, and has the 325/12 shaped "stub" TRC, round neck heel etc. It originally had a trapeze tailpiece and the inlays aren't original.
Thanks very much for the links. I've been out of circulation for a while.

Very interesting info on your guitar. Is it a 1993 with added inlays, or is it an original stereo? 8)
No problem!

Mine is just a standard Rose Morris 1993, mono input etc. The inlays are original 60's crushed pearl, but not original to the guitar. Lots more to that story, and to the guitar in general...

I do appreciate that it looks like Townshend's first 12er. I also have a '64 1998, so that's like the original "High Numbers" era pair. :)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

RIC built MArty Willson-Piper a six string version of this guitar in the late 80s or early 90s. One of our fellow forum members now owns the guitar.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

Could three guitars be just one?

Dave Marks, Danny De'Lacy, and John Hall, all the same?

Do you happen to know when the David Marks and John Hall pics were taken? The De'Lacy pic is supposedly from some summer NAMM type of show.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
collin

Post by collin »

I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple of the photos are of the same guitar, including the one in the Smith book, and possibly Townshend's. They likely didn't make more than a few of these, as they were prototype-status then.

We will likely never know without more clear photos of each.

DeLacey's had a different TRC though, not the skinny prototype version?
325-at-2pm
Veteran RRF member

Post by 325-at-2pm »

:idea:
I agree, but hopefully we can trigger a bit more sleuthing near term.

In addition, I'm hoping that we can connect a few more of the dots and maybe even get some additional help from our friends at Rickenbacker.

By the way, my Dad was a design engineer for a musical instrument company for most of his career. In the 60s, he would go to NAMM or a Music Trades show every year. Usually, it was in Chicago and/or LA. I liked it because he brought home catalogs, badges, picks, strings, etc.

Do you know if the 1964 Rickenbacker Show photos are from a show in Chicago? Someone said they're from a show in Sandusky Ohio. Nothing against Sandusky, but I find it hard to believe that a major music trade show would take place there. It is a nice spot on Lake Erie, but Rickenbacker and Danny De'Lacy, and a 1964 NAMM-like convention flying high on the 1964 guitar/amp boom, seems to be a stretch.
:D
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

WELCOME BACK Greg..!!!! :D :D :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”