Marketplace Forum Restriction For New Members

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Marketplace Forum Restriction For New Members

Post by jdogric12 »

I like the "Post Bumper Buyer Beware"... well done Gil! :D
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, pretty funny. Of course, like most of these guys, the desired effect was to get to 30 posts so he could see all of those ridiculous deals in the for sale section. And once he hit 30 and found that nobody is giving away guitars, he's gone...
:roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

You've outdone yourself, Gil. :lol:
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I think I'd be more in favor of a post and time limit for access to the marketplace. As demonstrated here, anyone can ring up 30 quick posts and get access, but a 30 Post / 30 Day (or even seven day) waiting period would help to cool the heels of those looking for a quick transaction and would perhaps allow them more time to peruse this forum to see all that it has to offer.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

At least one of these newbies had made a few posts months ago and then racked the rest up in a single day after that. So, this is not as easily solved as we may hope for.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that we should also be mindful that this Forum is about creating an interest in Rickenbackers.

Getting to the Marketplace may be the goal of some who Register so that they may learn about what more knowledgeable persons have to say or may simply want to have access to all that is available here. We are all curious when we may not know what is behind door number three. :lol:

In a nutshell, it may be difficult to assess the motivation of those we don't yet know based solely on the variable of the number of posts made during a short period. Do you think we should leave the door open to new comers whose motivation, at the end of the day, may be honourable?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Here's something else I had in mind, what if new members were approved after achieving the 30 posts goal? If their posts were meaningful, they're granted access, if not, they don't and have to start over again until they get it right.

Debate as you wish.
collin

Post by collin »

How about we just open the doors up again, entirely?

I don't remember getting scammed.....or getting as annoyed...but people who appeared just to buy or sell a guitar and then disappear. That was much better than this...
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

admin wrote:In a nutshell, it may be difficult to assess the motivation of those we don't yet know based solely on the variable of the number of posts made during a short period. Do you think we should leave the door open to new comers whose motivation, at the end of the day, may be honourable?
YES.

Nothing can be done to make transactions safe. The policy we adopted is simply arbitrary and exclusionary, which by its very existence is anathema to the stated goal of creating community.

If a new member sells or tries to buy something be cautious, if an old member sells or tries to buy something be cautious.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

tmossman wrote:If a new member sells or tries to buy something be cautious, if an old member sells or tries to buy something be cautious.
Excellent advice!
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

This is a fantastic discussion, quick question, why are some forum pictures blue? Mine is brown and tan (which I quite like).
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

JakeK wrote:Here's something else I had in mind, what if new members were approved after achieving the 30 posts goal? If their posts were meaningful, they're granted access, if not, they don't and have to start over again until they get it right.

Debate as you wish.
That would be great, I remember being a new member, I didn't even know there was a marketplace. Then when I found it, I realzed where I would probably buy my first Rick! :mrgreen:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

collin wrote:
jps wrote:Bianca joined March 31st, 2011, and made 5 posts up through May 6th, until today with all these other posts. Perhaps she has some money to buy a Rick with, or has one to sell now. :?

Well, that remains to be seen......if you want to find Bianca, i'd look in the Marketplace. :roll:

For those that missed it or doubt what i'm saying, take a quick look at the "active topics" screenshots here:
what the....jpg
what the.......jpg
How is yours blue? Can you change the layout (I've grown fond of this tan/marrron though :mrgreen: )
P.S. Sorry for the back to back posts, I find this and extremely interesting topic. :D
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Yes, you can change themes under "User Control Panel" -> "Board preferences" and then "My board style"
So long and thanks for all the fish!
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

tmossman wrote:
admin wrote:In a nutshell, it may be difficult to assess the motivation of those we don't yet know based solely on the variable of the number of posts made during a short period. Do you think we should leave the door open to new comers whose motivation, at the end of the day, may be honourable?
YES.

Nothing can be done to make transactions safe. The policy we adopted is simply arbitrary and exclusionary, which by its very existence is anathema to the stated goal of creating community.

If a new member sells or tries to buy something be cautious, if an old member sells or tries to buy something be cautious.

Completely agree Todd. I think you only have to look back at the infamous NT case to realise that the most damage/loss/heartache often results from a person who has first deliberately built up a trusted reputation over an extended period of time before they start with their "activities". In the case of a new member who has rapidly built up 30+ posts with superficial content/comments, it only takes any of us a few moments using the search facility to realise what they've done and to treat any subsequent "for sale" post with the caution it would deserve. Personally I would say the former case is potentially far more damaging than the latter...as usual, caveat emptor in ALL cases.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”