Rita

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

brammy

Post by brammy »

The bad news from New Orleans is that the flooding is all happening again.

Rita is now a CAT 3 but will still pack a punch when it hits.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

"The bad news from New Orleans is that the flooding is all happening again."

I'm sorry that the repaired levee didn't hold. However, the additional flooding can't do any more damage that what's already done.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Kent for the update. That is a partial answer to our prayers. It would be great if it reduced in strength even more.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
brammy

Post by brammy »

“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
brammy

Post by brammy »

Brian, and all you Texas guys... be safe. I hope you'll be able to stay on-line and tell us how things go.

In other news, tonight we have a gig at this local-yokel Korean bar .... should be 'different' as we hear this place has a rep of going out of its way to screw the band out of a full payment .... we'll soon see. I only mention this because Rita will be hitting Texas right about the same time we hit the stage.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Here is the latest. I'm off to get some shut eye now.

http://flhurricane.com/googlemap.php?2005s18#
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
brammy

Post by brammy »

Looks like Rita was not the disaster we all feared. Still, there will be lots of flooding from the heavy rains alone.

(speaking of which, my Friday night gig was cancelled at the last minute due to - you guessed it - flooding! There were some very heavy rains in Kaneohe and the club got a little messed up. Rescheduled for the 7th, so nothing lost)

Brian, whats the latest from Texas?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I was away over the weekend so I did not get to follow what was going on too closely down there Kent. It appears that Rita was not as bad as they expected. That was great news. I hope all my friends in Texas are OK.

brammy

Post by brammy »

yea... there has been significant damage from Rita but it could have been a lot worse. A little more to the west and Galviston would have been hit and a little more to the east and New Orleans would have been whacked with wind damage to add to all the flooding.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

On the Friday night that Rita was supposed to be approaching landfall, we were booked to play the first night of a festival in a little South Texas town just west of Corpus Christi. This annual two day fiesta welcomes dove hunters from all around for the opening weekend of the season.

As we were getting ready for our last set that Friday night, the organizer approaches us and asks if we'd like to play the next night as well. Seems they'd hired a Cajun act from somewhere in Louisiana for Saturday nights' festivities, but they weren't going to be able to make the gig. So we ended up covering it.

We felt bad for the Cajun band and were worried about what had happened to them since we weren't given details on Friday night. Fortunately on Saturday, we were told that their missing the gig was due to the hurricane evacuation and the scarcity of gas. The band itself was safe and sound and out of the danger zone. That made us feel a whole lot better.

The good news for us is that with the extra night's exposure, we've gotten lots of inquiries as to future bookings and such. So as far as we're concerned, there's the 'silver lining' to Hurricane Rita.
My first bass was a Rickenbacker...
My best bass is a Rickenbacker...
My last bass may very well be a Rickenbacker

Return to “News At 11”