Materials Over Past Few Decades

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

You're right, John, but truth is, I very rarely, if ever, pot my pickups that way.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey Sean,

to answer your question, I might send you one of the "new" pickups. Just be patient, however, as I'm kinda "back-logged" at this time.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I like the polycarbonate CD idea - think of the rainbow effect off the top of the bobbin in a stage spotlight! :D
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Thanks Sergio... you take your time! I see how well respected your craftsmanship is around here, and craftsmanship takes patience.
Cheers
Sean
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

You're right, John, but truth is, I very rarely, if ever, pot my pickups that way.

If you use the factory bobbins, you never do, because they simply melt! Only the vulcan-board or the old PCB ones will survive.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

John, does RIC pot their pickups?

I'm pretty sure you've got the humbuckers potted with epoxy, but I'm not all that sure about the toasters or high gains...they don't seem like they're potted to me? Personally I like unpotted pickups as long as the squeal isn't too bad....they're more alive.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that modern bobbins "can't stand the heat".
And yes, I believe the humbuckers are potted with epoxy, unlike toaster and high-gain pickups.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

The humbucker I disassembled was not potted. There was epoxy on top just under the plastic cover but not around the coils. The epoxy seems to be there to give the pickup top a smooth and level surface.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

The humbuckers out of my 230 are filled with epoxy to where if I tried to take the pickups apart I'd destroy them. I haven't seen any newer humbuckers though.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Yes, I should have been more specific and said the HB-1 I disassembled was not potted. HB-2s (200 and 2000 series instruments) are, at the very least completely sealed.
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Sergio
I'm getting ready to send off my '00 V63 bass to Dale for refinishing, and measured the pickups while I had it apart for inspection. I had always noticed while playing that the toaster was much lower in volume than the bridge. The bridge pickup, which sports a set of original '67 shoes along with the reissue PU, measures a healthy 9.6K. The toaster; however, measures only 5.8K. Shouldn't it read in the 7-8 range? Have you seen any this weak?
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, I have. But I suspect the toaster on your V63 is not as close to the strings as it can possibly be, and I'm sure magnets on modern toaster pickups are quite strong. So, how come the HS sounds much louder than the toaster? Got any close-up pics of your Rick?
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

There are two problems with the V63 pickups in general. First, the horseshoes - especially in the 90's were hot as hell. Second, the fake magnets are flat and not flaired open like the originals. This forces the pickup height to be adjusted up so close so the strings don't hit the shoes. This puts those big alnico poles very close to the strings. Too close IMHO. The current HS pickups are lower output and the shoes are flaired open. The older VRI horseshoes can be bent into a more open position to achieve the same effect. Jeff Scott did that on his FG V63 with great success. Opening them this way allows the pickup to be lowered into a more usable position.

Post by 35012 »

Sean's magnets are original '67 shoes,not RIs, although the pickup is a RI, so they should be flared. Maybe the functional magnets replacing the nonfunctional ones made the pickup more powerful?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Now, THAT makes perfect sense to me. Sean, there's the explanation to the problem.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”