Who's the Biggest Chris Squire Fan here?

The genius of Chris Squire
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Hey Ben,

Thanks.

Funny what happens when you are on lots of pain medications.Image I zipped that off in about 10 minutes on a bad day. LOL! I normally couldn't recite Hickory, Dickory, Dock!

Elys,

My first show was 1977/78. Those were years filled with smoke and black lights, SO I don't remember that period of my life very well....but I'd have given ALMOST anything to meet them. To this day, I STILL want to meet Chris.

AH, Tammy, now you are talking....you know, September 10th is my FAVORITE day of the year! I just don't count them anymore....

Bob,

I believe Chris DID have a Fender something or other. I have a DVD SOMEWHERE with him playing one.
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

Tony I sooo cheated I had to look the concert date up online...and they had the count believe me more days are passing than I care to count... but a Yes concert one never forgets although it may get a little fuzzy around the edges
May you always work like you don't need money;
May you always love like you've never been hurt;
and may you always dance like there's nobody watching.
Jack Canfield
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I first saw Yes in November '74, in Indianapolis, during their first run of the Relayer tour. I did get to meet Chris after the show and he invited my two friends I was with and myself up to his room for a nice chat!

I won't mention the time I jammed with Jon Anderson, or had breakfast with the boys.
squirefan01
Intermediate Member

Post by squirefan01 »

C'mon Jeff. Mention it! Sounds like some good stories for this forum!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

While we're on the topic of Chris, did anyone organizing SoCal 2007 extend an invite to the man?

And Yes, Jeff, do tell!
prog_rockin_metal_man

Post by prog_rockin_metal_man »

man I was born in the totally wrong era...I'm a pretty huge Chris Squire fan (probably a lightweight compared to some of you guys though!) and it would have been so awesome to see him live in the 70's let alone meet him or anyone from Yes! but alas that was way before my time so I'll have to content myself with listening to old Yes records.
"Rickenbacker!"( I shout it out whenever I spot one)
"Rickenbacker makes the best basses in the world!"
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

nothing like listening to old Yes records and old Yes fans.... and not to worry the 70's took a very long time to get over.
Jack Canfield
relayer4u
Intermediate Member

Post by relayer4u »

Ain't that the truth Tammy!

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I went to see Yes in Pittsburgh in the mid '70s with some friends and stopped by at the Hilton that afternoon near the shed they were playing in. I had my dulcimer with me and lo and behold, in walks Yes. Fortunately for Jon he had his wooden flute with him, otherwise he would have had to sing instead of play the flute. We sat there in the hotel lobby jamming on some typical kind of modal stuff you do on dulcimers.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

As for breakfast, my friend Warren and I went to the Keg & Quarter, the local hotel where entertainers stayed at the time when playing near downtown Cleveland. This was the morning after Yes' show at Cleveland Municipal Stadium in the Summer of '75, I think, could be '76, which also had Michael Stanley, Ace, and Joe Walsh & Barnstorm on the bill. Anyway, we waited in the lobby and when Yes showed up we asked if we could join them for breakfast. Sointenly, said Steve! That is when I got a few sigs. on my LP of Relayer. I didn't get Alan's at that time, but last year when I saw The Syn, I brought that LP with me to get Alan to sign it. While waiting in line I saw that Chris and Alan, et al, were sort of on autopilot signing anything stuck in front of their faces. When I placed Relayer in front of Alan he actually stopped dead in his tracks, looked up at me and said "Where did you get this!". I proceeded to explain to Alan what I did over 30 years ago to get those autographs, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining... He was genuinely surprised, kind of nice really.

These are great memories I will always treasure. Image
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I suppose I could tell you guys and gals about the time Phil Collins told me Genesis' plans for writing and recording TLLDOB. But then again, this is a Yes oriented thread. Image
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

Very very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack Canfield
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Those were the days, my dear!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

"the 70's took a very long time to get over"....
Um, I'm STILL trying! Image

Jeff,

You have lead a truly blessed life my friend! LOL!

I shook hands with Steve Howe when he was with ASIA, John Denver, and a few others....but CHRIS SQUIRE IS ON THE TOP OF MY LIST. I've never even been closer than about the 50th row in Madison Square Garden or the Nassau Coliseum . Image
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Try this:

About four feet away! Image The Syn show in Cleveland last year.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”