Clough's Classic UK Instrumentals

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
hamilton_square

Re: Clough's Classic UK Instrumentals

Post by hamilton_square »

While still on the subject of the Wildcats / Krew Kats, I’ve been in the mood to do a bit of historical digging into their lead guitarist, one ‘Big’ Jim Sullivan.

Now I best remember BJS, when for a period of five years during the early 1970s, he toured and performed with Tom Jones. I also recall that after parting company with Tom Jones, for reasons of wanting to spend more time in a recording studio environment doing his own thing than out on the road, he was a much sort-after session guitarist. Though what I didn’t know, mainly because they have never been on my musical radar, was for nine years (1978 – 87) BJS was part of the perennially popular James Last Orchestra.

I was also surprised to read of BJS’s negative opinion of Van Morrison following a recent experience of working with him. For those who want to read what he says then go to……

http://bigjimsullivan.com/

…..and click on the “History” link then scroll down to the final half-a-dozen sentences on the page.

On the same history page one will also see that BJS makes a passing reference to a fellow British guitarist by the name of Vic Flick. Now I remember Vic Flick when he was associated with the John Barry 7. Indeed, every time one hears the ubiquitously familiar “James Bond Theme” that is Vic Flick playing the opening and closing guitar riff.

A year or so before John Barry was propelled onto greater things following the 1962 release of Doctor No, first of the James Bond films. The John Barry 7 recorded these two heavily influenced American Western-style instrumental tracks on the EMI label that did absolutely nothing but have nevertheless, found their way onto YouTube.

So I’d like to present (in my opinion) a somewhat overly orchestrated John Barry 7 featuring Vic Flick playing “Zapata” and “Iron Horse”.

While there are plenty of written sources on the Internet concerning John Barry. Information on the various line ups of the John Barry 7 are a little bit harder to come by. But nevertheless, for those who want to read up about them then go to…..

http://www.answers.com/topic/the-john-barry-seven
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The two John Barry Seven tracks you have posted and I enjoyed were never singles actually, though I'll stand corrected.

The Dr No theme a classic in anyone's book I am sure, but over the years subject of litigation.

Monty Norman sued some British newspapers because they claimed John Barry had written the Dr No theme, indeed Barry testified in court that he had actually written and arranged the theme but that Norman was contractually obligated to receive the credit.

I am sure they may be differing stories but I believe above to be fairly accurate.

Paul check out a Hank Marvin album released in 70s called Hank Marvin Guitar Syndicate it features Vic Flick.

Here is John Barry Seven's biggest hit in UK number 10 in 1960, which was used as the theme tune to a long running 60s TV show called Juke Box Jury.

Note labeL states John Berry Seven plus Four

They also covered Ventures Walk Don't Run which was their second biggest hit made number 11, Ventures version made number 2 and is the better version IMO.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The Dakotas, who hailed from Manachester in UK, were enlisted by Brian Epstein to back Billy J Kramer.

To maintain, I reckon, their own identity most singles were issued as Billy J Kramer With The Dakotas rather than And The Dakotas.

Thye released a few singles in their own right, the most notable I suppose being The Cruel Sea, retitled for US market as The Cruel Surf. That single gave them their only hit, as The Dakotas, in UK.

Mike Maxfield told me once that The Cruel Sea recorded also by Ventures, was his pension.

Mike is not a well man these days and also experienced personal tragedy in his life which I won't elaborate on.

I always liked the follow up single Magic Carpet

So here is another Clough Classic

The Dakotas - Magic Carpet

nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

I'm jumping in a little late here, as I've been away for a couple of weeks, but for anyone interested in this whole era, and in particular the John Barry Seven, there is a fascinating book out by Vic Flick, called, rather cumbersomely "Vic Flick, Guitarman - From James Bond To The Beatles And Beyond". Basically a collection of personal reminiscences, some quite forthright :wink: I think it may only be available by mail from the publishers, you'll have to search... (I got it as a Christmas present :D )
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here is my first attempt at posting a vid on you tube and what a c--- effort it is, but the track is great.

Another Clough Classic 1963

Group X - There Are Eight Million Cossack Melodies And This One Of Them

Yes that was the title!

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

More delights from the 'Clough Closet Collection'!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I really like 'Magic Carpet'.... the rhythm guitar sounds great. :D
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
pc31

Post by pc31 »

jet harris even tho he came from the shadows he deserves mention for his and tonys solo stuff...
the arrows was another instrumental group...weren't the from over the pond too??maybe not tho... :lol:

where were the spotnicks from???sweden?do they count?
good article here on instumental groups from america...http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=19:T544
and another http://www.loti.com/sixties_music/The_Instrumentals.htm
the rocking blacks were a dutch band...
wasn't it called indo rockback then??????!!!! the dutch seem to have a plithera of groups like that...the strangers were among them and The Javalins and the rollers...
Last edited by pc31 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
pc31

Post by pc31 »

the hap cats... another dutch band...didn't they have any good vocalists???? :lol:
nero and the gladiators...
the moontrekkers
les cooper
pc31

Post by pc31 »

The Tielman Brothers dang those dutch seem to have cornered the market...
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Davie Allan and The Arrows are All American boys, yes Spotnicks were from Sweden, still playing today.

Europe spurned a lot of Shadows sound alike groups.
pc31

Post by pc31 »

i only re-mentioned nero because they did more than a few tunes...
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The track posted by Moontrekkers by PC31 was at time not considered good enough to be released it eventually turned up many years later on CD called Joe Meek Hidden Gems basically a collection of stuff recorded but never relased.

Here is probably Moontrekkers finest release first of three singles released by them, incidentally Nero and The Gladiators, as far as I know, only released 4 singles.

Moontrekkers -Night Of The Vampire

pc31

Post by pc31 »

even tho they are not really considered an instrumental group fleetwood mac with peter green are originally over ponders...and use to do some instumentals...not that i found any on youtube...

See new post sticking to instro's
pc31

Post by pc31 »

the jaywalkers did some instrumentals
another joe meek connection there too...
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

PC31 said
"even tho they are not really considered an instrumental group fleetwood mac with peter green are originally over ponders...and use to do some instumentals...not that i found any on youtube..."

You mention Fleetwood Mac to some people this is the best thing they ever did

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”