When You Walk In The Room

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
ozmag

Re: When You Walk In The Room

Post by ozmag »

When you walk in the room for me is the quintessential Searchers song with one of the great guitar riff's of any era. Its always the song that gets the best reaction at live shows and still amazes me it was only a No 4 in the UK. It would be up there in my top 10 songs of all time.

I still enjoy Jackie De Shannon's original version where she has a lovely break in her voice that seems to fit the emotion of the song and I also like the Paul Carrack version where he starts off with the middle eight.

Other versions I've heard include, Bruce Springsteen's that he does live and IMHO not sung too well and Status Quo, which is OK. I hadn't heard of the country version before and I liked here voice but not the guitar part.

So if I had to vote on the best version, the complete package it would be

1 - The Searchers (by a country mile)
2 - Jackie De Shannon
3 - Paul Carrack

And I love Each Time, I think it may well have been a hit if released as a single
Cheers all Mike
ozmag

Post by ozmag »

JeffZ wrote:Jackie is one of the most underrated artists in Rock History and she should be in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. She was the first female singer/songwriter of consequence (Carole King was mainly a songwriter in the early '60's, she didn't start performing until the end of the decade).

Here is Jackie lip synching "When You Walk In The Room". If you pay close attention at the beginning of the song, she starts miming a little early and you can see her catching herself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRv6iCCYQo
The other Jackie De Shannon song I love which the Searchers covered is 'Cant help forgiving you' she is a wonderful talent
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Without meaning to hijack the thread....After all these years, I never realized that Jackie De Shannon was a song writer. I just thought she was a performer. The things I learn on the RRF! :shock:
JimK
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

We all learn here Jim. I've learned more about the Searchers here reading Roy's posts than I ever could have discovered on my own. And I always end up wanting to learn more.
dbailey62
Veteran RRF member

Post by dbailey62 »

ozmag wrote:When you walk in the room for me is the quintessential Searchers song with one of the great guitar riff's of any era. Its always the song that gets the best reaction at live shows and still amazes me it was only a No 4 in the UK. It would be up there in my top 10 songs of all time.

I still enjoy Jackie De Shannon's original version where she has a lovely break in her voice that seems to fit the emotion of the song and I also like the Paul Carrack version where he starts off with the middle eight.

Other versions I've heard include, Bruce Springsteen's that he does live and IMHO not sung too well and Status Quo, which is OK. I hadn't heard of the country version before and I liked here voice but not the guitar part.

So if I had to vote on the best version, the complete package it would be

1 - The Searchers (by a country mile)
2 - Jackie De Shannon
3 - Paul Carrack

And I love Each Time, I think it may well have been a hit if released as a single
Cheers all Mike
I prefer the live version of Paul Carrack's rendition as it omits the drawn out melodramatic introduction of his studio version. It's good but it takes too long to get into the song. Man this guy has a voice!

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Here three versions which may surprise some, I never knew untikl recently that Del had done it.

einar
Veteran RRF member

Post by einar »

There's a more recent version out, too! The Young Veins, a Californian group, covers it on their cd from this summer: Take a Vacation! Two tracks are included as "(international) bonus tracks", one of them WYWITR. Their style is melody, harmonies, guitars. I feel their de Shannon cover lacks the energy of the more famous version, but it is done in a similair way.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Of the last 3 that Roy posted, my favourite by far (slightly surprisingly to me) is Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas. Quite heavy for the period (I'm assuming it was done fairly close in time to the Searchers version) - another of those excitable Keith Moon-ish drummers :D Does anyone know for sure whether it actually was the Dakotas on the record, or session musicians?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

There a lot of versions 40 I know of probably more, I think it was the Dakotas on this but not 100%, unless I'm mistaken I feel he may have reorded it before Searchers but record comapny decided not to release it in UK once Searchers version had been such a big hit
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Of all the versions linked to in this thread, so far my favorite is the Searchers' version. And I'm really beginning to like this song a lot. Heaven only knows why the first time around it didn't make much of an impression on me.
JimK
Memphis Blue

Post by Memphis Blue »

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”